Author Topic: Getting bark off of hickory ?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline RyanY

Getting bark off of hickory ?
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:09:48 am »
So I cut some hickory a few weeks ago and didn't take the bark off. I could already tell it wasn't going to come off as easily as it does in the summer. How can I get the bark off easily so that that first layer is the back of the bow? I've heard a hot steamy shower does the trick. Any suggestions?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Getting bark off of hickory ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:11:44 am »
That or soak it in a Tub for a day...then peel it....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:14:48 am »
Thanks El D. I thought this thread would get a reply quickly. No I've also heard that the bark will eventually just pop off. Know if that's true? Thanks.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:09:53 am »
yep  hicory can be a real bitch to get off  i say stick it in the shower  probly the easiest wat  tnt my 2nd choice   ;D  brock

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:32:47 am »
If you wait and let it pop Off...make sure that you don't take it down too fast...because when it does start to pop off....it will change the Tiller on You also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:46:31 am »
It will eventually pop off but it takes several years for that to happen,I just take it off with a draw knife,you just have to be careful not to violate the back.Once you get the bark off you can scrape
the last layer off [the brown stuff] with a scraper.I don't know about the soaking,never tried it. That is why I cut it when the sap is up.Much easier. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:53 am »
I do it like Pappy said-drawknife w/the bevel down, then clean it up with a scraper. Not nearly as much trouble as people make it out to be. You should be able to debark a stave in a half-hour or so. Some people who think nothing of chasing a ring in the middle of a gnarly, knotty osage stave act like it's impossible to take the bark off a piece of hickory. ;D Threre's no way I'm soaking a hickory stave in water as hard as that stuff is to get dry.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:13 am »
I always thought it was being counter-productive to soak hickory in water to get the bark off, as humid as our summers get in AL it would take 100 years to bring the MC back down to the right level and only 30 minutes and some elbow grease to take the bark off dry...  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »
The stave I got from Steve at.the Classic last year....I soaked it for a couple hours...and the Bark came right off...Cambium and all....and the M/C was back to 6 Percent  in a week.....I don't seem to have any trouble with moisture here..... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:41:40 pm »
...said the Texan  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:43:51 pm »
Texas Desert Dweller....... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »
Drawknifing it off isn't that hard. Get it close to the inner bark, let that dry (and change color), then scrape it off. Just did that myself on a few. I was suprised, I had thought it would be the most horrific experiene of my life. Guess not ;)

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »
Getting the bark off of Hickory isn't that bad of a deal. Put the drawknife to it and when you get down to the cambium layer just use the scraper and take it off. So what if it takes a little more time to get that last layer off. I am in know hurry to make a bow any way. Dean

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:56 pm »
Just wait a couple of years and the bark pops off?  How many is a couple?  Buddy gave me a stave that shows it was cut in '95.  Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:00:55 am »
Thanks for the input everyone. I can't work on my staves now since I'm at school but I'll be sure to take you're advice.