Author Topic: Broken rocks  (Read 1724 times)

Lombard

Broken rocks
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:54:39 pm »
Sat out in the car port while it was raining today, and chipped away at some stone. Came close three different times. Three times while trying to thin the bases some more, I snapped the tips off about two thirds of the way toward the tip. All I ended up with today, is broken rocks.  :-[

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Broken rocks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:22 pm »
sounds like you may have too much grip on the stone. i stopped breaking a lot less tips when i loosened up on my grip. i lay my fingers on the stone very lightly and use the ball of my finger pads to keep the stone from moving . keep it up. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »
Thanks for the tip Jamie.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:57 pm »
Put some lumber into the back of your palm pad, so when you grip the point it doesn't put all the pressure on the edges of the stone as it sinks into your hand.  Hot tip I saw on Youtube yesterday!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:32 pm »
yup,did that all day yesterday
every piece i picked up i busted
the death grip will do it every time
i ruined 4 really nice 8"x1.5" slabs of some gorgeous obsidion yesterday,all cause of the death grip
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »
That is an end snap caused by the shock wave running the full length of the preform.  Try pinching tightly where the flake is going to come off.  Also, pressure flake your platform to make sure it is below center.  Use a light hit, an isolated platform will run a flake a long way.  Bill

Offline StevenT

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:36 pm »
It happens to everyone. Just part of learning process. I snapped one this weekend myself. Listen to the suggestions and just keep at it.