Author Topic: So...  (Read 3258 times)

Offline RyanY

So...
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:44:52 pm »
It has been a while since the movie. Anyone start making a Navi bow from Avatar yet?  ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: So...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:55 pm »
I did make an 8' longbow a while back.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »
Not seen the movie yet  :-\

Actually have no desire to.  Might look for pic's of the bow, though.

Offline acker

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »
Yes someone did , Snake Jo from germany did. One of our very ones :)
fletchers-corner.de/index.php?topic=12836.0
I hope that lin k is allowed
Gruß acker
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:51:05 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:20:35 pm »
I have too many bow projects in the works to start another... besides, there are too many other movies coming out soon that need someone to do some bow experiments with. Robin Hood and a new Clash of the Titans which might have a bow or two in it.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »
That is an awesome lookin replica. Avatar was an EPIC movie. definitely deserves to be seen at least once... actually many many times  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:32:00 am by Aries »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16:03 pm »
The Na'vi bow in the link above was a test, in the following thread Snake-Jo finished a "real" one: fletchers-corner.de/index.php?topic=12876.0
There are "making of"-pictures and finally pictures of the finished bow at page 3 and 6.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:15:09 am by Justin Snyder »
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »
Looking at the inner recurved bow he has, im curious if it would help in making a bow more durable at higher poundage if it was deflexed at the handle and then recurved to get the same shape.  Instead of being a relatively straight bow with recurved tips and a thiner handle section (which i assumed was to get the recurved inner bow to bend enough to get the desired shape) i think the style he used would be more prone to taking set or braking at the handle if put under much pressure from a heavier weight? What ya'll think? Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »
Pretty neat looking but I bet its sucks to shoot......and I'd be conserned about that sloted limb.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Aries

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:24:26 pm »
true, maybe if you just made it like a reverse holme tip, built up on either side, but slotted in the mid, it could hold up to the force of the inner bow pushing on it.  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:00 am »
You'd get a hernia just from carrying around a quiver full of those ten-foot-long arrows. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Aries

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »
Thats true! but luckily we're goin to scale on this thing. If i start one ill prolly make it 72" tops. i think a shorty version would be pretty awesome too. and since ill make mine from osage itll prolly be easier to find wood. can yall think of any way we could get some use from the deflexed middle bow, to me it has no apparent purpose other than aesthetics?  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:47 am »
Well I made a few drawings today so when I try and make this bow I have something on paper I can go off of. It's not an exact replica but more of what I think can be a working bow with the same look and feel. The dimensions call for the back bow to be 80" long and the belly bow would be 96". I'll probably scale this down so the 80" one is 72". This would make the belly bow 86" so I'd probably take a few off the tips. Also one thing I didn't consider was that two bows would be doing the work so I probably didn't need to make the limbs as wide as they are written. There is a lot more to this design that I was considering so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Also if you think there is something I could improve that would be awesome. Hope you all enjoy.  :)

Offline Aries

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:40:42 am »
Very impressive plans ;D  I like what you did with the mid bow by building up the belly of the back bow, to make some use out of it. i was thinking that the built up potion will probably have to be from leather or something to keep from throwin off the back bows tiller.  What was your idea?  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:24 am »
Thank you. I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly but I'm guessing its about the small build up at mid limb on the back bow? I think this can be done with wood without messing up tiller. Because the inner half of the limb bends very little and the outer half is whip ended it is almost like a point of transition. I've also seen this done on gibows lothlorien bow he used to make at bowstick although it was closer to the handle. One problem that concerned me was difference in limb speed since the bows are only connected at the handle.