Author Topic: Artifact prices and new knapped heads.  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Parnell

Artifact prices and new knapped heads.
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »
So I was looking at an artifact sales website and couldn't believe the prices that some of the heads were selling for.  $10,000 what?!
Can someone explain to me how these heads that demand the highest prices are documented as legitamate?  I mean, the highest priced heads are those that are closest to best condition.  How does this work?  I mean, if I go out snorkeling in a river and find a head that is just great and want to sell it - how does that process go?  Do you need documentation of finding the artifact?  Don't get it...
1’—>1’

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Artifact prices and new knapped heads.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:36 pm »
You don't need anything but a rube!  That's my guess, anyways.  O:)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:42:11 pm »
 Steve, that's what has paid for most of my guns and hunting trips. I found a Bull tongue Simpson a few years ago in the Peace River. It was fluted both sides and see thru chert. It's in a book called The Best of the South. I think it's listed for $2400. The next time you come up I'll introduce you to Rick Swartze and let him show you his Newnans, Hillsboroughs and Paleo points. Each case is worth $35-40 thousand.

It is legal to sell them in Florida and there are Artifact shows all over the State. If you wish to sell any, let me know and I'll give you some numbers to call and someone will be at your house with a handfull of cash.

If you want to see a good site that buys and sells artifacts and fossils do a Google for Paleoenterprise. It's a friend, Jim Tatum's site. Very nice artifacts.

Also; Florida coral points in mint condition and Paleo Points are the most sought after.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:43:42 am »
I handled a cast from the sweetwater biface yesterday. The original point sold for 150K!!! There is some large coins in the authentic artifact business.

The first thing one must do after finding and artifact is to get the point authenticated,papered if you will. Those that perform this, have ways and means of telling if a point is original, or if it is newly made and yes there are those who have mastered the art of deception with patina techniques. Trust me, they can tell. Once it is papered then if you choose to sell it, it can be put on the market.

People argue the fact that you have to paper your points, but the market has driven it in that direction.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
So who do you see to get something authenticated?
south central VA

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »
I'll call the fella that is here in Mo. and see if he knows anyone down your way that does it.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:56:31 pm »
heres a few pics of 1 of Ricks frames, he found a couple of these inthe creek between our houses, he lives behind me. @ great examples I took of the polyped and the pinhead coral.Bottom pic is pinhead, you can see the swirls in it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:17 pm »
very cool points in that frame
the right one of the center three is especialy sweet  8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »
those are finds!!!! wow
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:43 pm »
 I'll guarantee they are all Finds. That's not the good case. I was with Rick when he found that Pin head, in the Alifia River. That case is almost all Coral  points.

anybody want to guess what that Pinhead would be worth? :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:53 pm »
I can't get a hold of the fella here in Mo that does the authenticating. He had a big show this weekend and is probly still gone.When I find out more imfo I will post it here.

Those are some very nice points! That pinhead is some really cool stuff.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:01:05 am »
hey Eddie, thats about all the time we had to look at stuff, we were busy throwing all that rock from Claudes into the creek. Rick has definatly earned his points. We need to make a trip to the Alifia soon, its up again with todays rain but will be ok in a week or so.

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
Finally got a hold of the fella up here that does the authenticating. He told me that the man in the SE name is "Carlos Tatum". Not real sure I spelled his last name right, but he said that you could look him up in the phone book. Florida I think?

He does all the points down your way.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 05:36:41 pm »
 Carlos' dad is Jim Tatum, the site, Paleoenterprise. If anybody need's his number just PM me or his Dad at the website I mentioned. Or, I'm sure Jeff has it also.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »
Imagine the native that knapped those points, they must have run around the village showing them off impressing everyone.
VB