Author Topic: mulberry static  (Read 4181 times)

gutpile

mulberry static
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:53 pm »
first mulberry but I will be doing more of these..bow is a screamer at 53 @26 57" copperhead skins antler tips and cut to center.....full draw pic is at a bad angle and gives the bow a unfair looking till on bottom limb..will try to take some better pics ..camera was dying so had to take them fast..I love the way mulberry takes the dry heat for minor tracking adjustments I had to do.boiled in statics and any other adjustments were done with dry heat.....first attempt at mulberry but I do like this wood...she was wet when I tried to chase a ring..learned to let it dry much easier to see then....still have to apply grip and I will take some better pics....till then hope you enjoy..will be turkey hunting with this bow in a few weeks...gut

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bullitt

Re: mulberry static
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »
Looks real good to me! I like mulberry alot! Like them curves. Good luck with the turkeys!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
Nice bow man looks great can't wait to see pics of the detail work and the skins!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:12:51 pm »
Cool!  Looks short!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:33:52 pm »
That looks really nice.  I love mulberry, nice thick rings as a rule.

George
St Paul, TX

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:39:47 pm »
Thanks guys..will post better pics asap... ;D..thick rings yes..but being able to tell early from latewood is no osage...LOL....color is too close...have to go by feel of the drawknife and listen to the wood....holding at the right angle of light helps too...plus it has to be dry enough or it just blends right on in and doesn't have the spongy feel till dry....should have the grip on and more pics by Fri......hope so....gut 8)

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »
Good looking bow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »
 I've always loved, good Mulberry. Great looking bow. In the strung picture, that bottom limb looks like it has taken a little more set than the top.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:09 pm »
Nice bow, nice recurves!
Frank from Germany...

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »
That's a nice bow... the recurves look fantastic. In fact, i was going to post my recurving efforts of the day but after seeing yours, I think I'd be too embarrassed.  :P
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:02 am »
Great looking bow,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:44:41 am »
That is a great looking bow. I to love Mulberry. A great bow wood. One of my favorite hunting bows is a sinewed back mulberry bow. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:57 am »
That is one awesome looking bow right there. Well done!
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:08:59 am »
thanks guys....the bottom limb has taken no more set than the top.it is also a 1 1/8 shorter.....I didn't reflex this stave it being so short with no backing I didn't want to push it too much...but hindsight..I think she would of held it ...since the stave had no reflex and only took the small set I am impressed with mulberry....I have quite a few more stave around 20 or so.....I feel the next one will be better and can flip the tips and add reflex to it.and still not back it....I want to do a sinew back one soon also..I have a steamer I can steam a whole bow..I did and osage that way R/D....you would swear it was fiberglassed...LOL...no backing even has a hole through the upper limb..had to glue on a handle though......so not sure if it would be considered a selfbow or not...but it is a screamer for sure....thanks..guys..will take better pics here this weekend and post them... I shot her last night ....I am impressed with this wood....I certainly like it better than black locust......gut

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:51 am »
Good looking bow. I really like mulberry wood, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.