Author Topic: cutting osage today  (Read 4013 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: cutting osage today
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »
wow!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline yazoo

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 04:14:09 pm »
first blank roughed out,,from tree to bow blank less than one day,,now seal ends with two coats tite bond 2,, back two coats shellac,,, belly 1 coat shellac,,,nothing on sides,,,  now the big problem,,place in dry place, wait 1year at least :(
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 09:28:03 pm »
That is some serious work there, yazoo. Makes me tired looking at it. Nice staves. :)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 09:30:39 pm »
I'm enjoying the pic's of your setup and stuff! Keep em rolling :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »
Quit it, your giving me Yellow Fever! ;D Bows, yeah I see bows in that thar wood.

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:15 am »
Hey Mike , Thats really cool to see the birthplace of 3 of the Osage Bows we have from you!!  How about some picts with you and your Dad in them.   Shot the Holy Charactor Osage I got for Chritmas all day today.  What fun!   Puttin the Tru-oil on the new one we finsihed at TBOF. Dan havin fun shootin his too.   Wish we lived closer to ya, we'd come over and help you cut and split.  Both of us really enjoyed your help and the new bows we got from you at TBOF shoot.    Ken
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:09 am »
Nice haul Mike, When cutting and splitting Osage it really don't matter how cold it is,you will
warm up. ;) ;D ;D I still hold up pretty good cutting Osage and Hickory but not like 10 or 15
years ago.I'm 57 and it's nice  to have some young wipper snappers around when we do it. :)
I am also like you,I don't cut just any Osage or Hickory or any other tree for that matter,I spend more time looking than I do cutting. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 09:11:48 am »
Always some nice hauls Mike!

Are you going to Ojam this weekend?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:03:31 am »
save me a couple of those thick ringed blanks and i'll get them from you at the tenn. classic!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy