Author Topic: cutting osage today  (Read 4012 times)

Offline yazoo

cutting osage today
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:27:36 pm »
do you think there is a bow in this stave,,I cut all day today in the rain and lighting,,I found some really dense osage today,, this photo  the rings are 5/8 and very dense,,I also cut one tree today with rings just over 1in thick,,clean and no knots,,I am going to take camper to osage woods monday and I am not comming home till I cut a 1000,,I am in need of a helper, someone who works real hard for low pay ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: cutting osage today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »
...if only I had the time off work Mike I'd be there to help... I would work for staves though...   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:32 pm »
Oh my that is quite am osage tree. I wish I could help but my heavy lifting days are over. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:43:06 pm »
I know what you mean I hit 40 last year and Its going down hill :'(

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »
Damn Mike ifin I was free I would work for a percentage in staves and food :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »
 That looks like nice stuff there.
 You've done got me wanting to go lay one on the ground now >:D  I need to cut at least one good tree this spring in order to keep a good supply of seasoned wood.   

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
That looks like nice stuff there.
 You've done got me wanting to go lay one on the ground now >:D  I need to cut at least one good tree this spring in order to keep a good supply of seasoned wood.   

Don't forget yer friends eh :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »
Those are some nice rings!! Got me wantin to go cuttin too ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
better hurry the sap is comming up ,,quick here in middle tn

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 09:11:19 am »
Those are some nice ringed Osage logs. I know what you mean about going down hill. I hired a young fellow to help me this spring to cut Osage and he could do more in a day than I can do in 4 days. I am 56 now and it sure shows. Going to go look at some Osage tomorrow that has been already cut. Hope it is worth the trip. Dean

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 10:12:51 am »
I have found out that people who cut osage that dont make bows, dont turn out so well,,lots of people think you find a osage tree cut it ,,I spent 6hrs going from tree to tree, yesterday looked at hundreds of trees,and I cut 2, one good tree in a day of walking is a good day,,because I dont settle for trashey wood,,

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 10:20:21 am »
How many times have you heard, "I got more bodock than ye can ever make bows out of". Only to find the landowner has exactly ZERO trees that fit the bill.   Most people who've never cut any don't realise what goes into it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:03 am »
yazoo, I agree with what you said about tree choice. In my early days I didn't know good black locust from bad (no osage in NH).  Hence my 14 tries before a shooter. I gotta say tough at this stage of my life I'd pass on that monster but your're still young. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »
my splitting set up,,the v notched blocks lets me split at waist level saves the back on a long day splitting,,standing up is some war bow staves 85in and clean,,

Offline yazoo

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 01:25:10 pm »
notice the bandsaw outside,best dust control idea ever,,I stole the idea from pappy,,though when the temp was 5 a foot of snow It was rough