Author Topic: Backwards Osage.  (Read 3897 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Backwards Osage.
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:55:21 am »
Question ,Gary Davis stopped by yesterday on his way to Texas,he had told me he had something different he wanted us to work on on his way back next week.He had 2 Osage stave's for a small
diameter Osage tree.They have the ring chased and 3 layers of sinew on them. The difference is the back is the belly,He chased the belly side.The one he gave me still has the bark on the side facing me on the handle,My question is has any of you guys done this before,I have heard of reverse bows just can't say I ever seen one or how they may act different for any other.Wished I had taken some pictures,I will get some up later. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

Re: Backwards Osage.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:18 am »
Pappy, Tim Flood used to make backwards bows from hickory at Mojam.  As I recall, he tillered the back of the bow. They worked out well and shot great.  I've never built one, so can't really help you much.I could see no difference in performance. I always figured it was just something different to make?  ;)

looking forward to the pics

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:57:53 am »
Should be a interesting project. I'll have to watch you two pro's work through it. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM4

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:47 am »
If you think about it in terms of how ACS works, there could be something too it.  Theres bound to be a smidge of concave, or at least flatness to the back, and I've always held the notion osage rings behave as laminates under strain.  I'd imagine with care and the right specimen the back ring could be made sound enough, particularly with sinew and in light of Timo's recent experience using quarter or rift sawn osage as a backing.  There was a time I would have predicted the back ring would fail, but this could be an interesting project.  But the effect, or advantage, may not be so pronounced as to be revealed in a typical design and/or crafting.

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »
Tim Baker has said that wood doesn't know which way it's supposed to bend........
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:28:44 pm »
I've made some Ipe self and backed longbows with the wood in all angles. I don't think it matters too much as long as the fibers follow the back. The last laminated bow I posted here was  composed from two of Timo's edge grained slats glued together.  I bet historically it happened more than we would have thought would have.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:35 am »
Thanks guys,I will let you know how it works,I think it will be about like any other. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:22:04 am »
Plan on working on these Tomorrow,I will update how they turn out,here is a couple of pictures of what we will start with,note the bark on the handle,this is the belly side,also how the grain/growth ring looks different.Should know something by Wed.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:18 pm »
I cut a bunch of small dia osage last week,,2 to 3 in,, backwards would keep you from glueing handle on,,keep us posted    mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:50 pm »
 Mike You might want to save a few of them small one for Gary,he said he had got to where he really likes the small diameter stuff. I will let yall know how it goes Wed. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »
  I've never did this either but had talked to bowyers who have.EASER TILLERING I was told is the only aqvanage.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:19:11 pm »
  I've never did this either but had talked to bowyers who have.EASER TILLERING I was told is the only aqvanage.

Did they say if there wre any disadvantages?
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 04:11:04 pm »
I've made backwards board bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jturner

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:28 pm »
Gary lives a few miles from me and buys quite a bit of osage from me. Those small suckers are his favorite for pony bows. He just called about a week and a half ago and told me he wants some about 4 inch diameter for a project hes working on.
Jake Turner     Michigan