Author Topic: Cane and 'boo identification  (Read 2942 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Cane and 'boo identification
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »
I can't seem to remember very much about the 'boo species from my dendrology class in college.  Is there a good way to be able to identify the different species so I'll know what to look for when I'm riding around?  River cane isn't much of an issue, that's pretty easy to id.  But from everything I've read it usually falls somewhere in the lower half of the desirable species list for arrow shafts.

I do have a couple dozen Tonkin culms on the way that should keep me busy for a while, just looking for some more to set aside and let dry for a while.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline aero86

Re: Cane and 'boo identification
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »
im not too sure on the id, but i thought a couple dozen would keep me busy for a long time too.  but, only last a weekend!  haha
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
  But from everything I've read it usually falls somewhere in the lower half of the desirable species list for arrow shafts.

I do have a couple dozen Tonkin culms on the way that should keep me busy for a while, just looking for some more to set aside and let dry for a while.

You read wrong. River cane makes excellent arrows if you pick good culms. I've tried about every kind of cane and boo that can easily be gotten, and I would definitely rate good native river cane considerably above tonkin in quality for shafts. I think some people mistake chinese golden bamboo for river cane, the chinese boo isn't too good for shafts. The only boo I have used that I would rate nearly as good as native river cane would be Sasa palmata. Japanese arrow bamboo is pretty good, too. Tonkin makes good arrows, but is a lot more brittle , not nearly as strong as the native cane, and is harder to work with. The only species that I would rate better than river cane are native hill cane and switch cane. When cutting river cane, get good clean culms about 3/8" diameter on the big end (they'll shrink a little as they dry,) and use the part between the ground and first branches.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:40:11 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:57 am »
Thanks Hillbilly.  I've got a few patches mentally marked, just need to get a few free minutes to do some harvesting.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »
 Steve, where did you get your Tonkin? I've only broken one, and that was a straight on shot at Pappy's metal fox target at about ten feet. It split 4 ways from the point and you can still shoot it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:25 pm »
I had noticed a small stand of river cane near my house.  I decided to stop by today on the way home for work and check it out.  From the road it just looks like a handful of culms, with most of them being mowed.  When I got there I noticed the shoulder dropped off a bit and there was a pile of cane just out of sight.  I was able to get about 15 culms in just a few minutes and left many, many more for another day.

I assume this was river cane, I haven't figure out how to tell the difference between it and hill cane yet.
Cleveland, NC