Author Topic: KY Coffee tree/cherry bark  (Read 21730 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: KY Coffee tree/cherry bark
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:40 pm »
Looks awesome, I like the looks of the grain near the fades.
SW Utah

Offline PeteC

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »
That is an outstanding bow Timo.I like everything about it. Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Rich Saffold

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
It does look like Ash, that is very sweet Timo. keep me in mind for another trade. I'll make it worth your time ;K

Rich- into diversity ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:13 pm »
Thats one beautiful lookin piece of wood there Tim!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:28 pm »
Thanks again all. The wood does favor ash in alot of respects, but looks alot like sassafras.

medicine wheel wrote
Is it the normal colour or did it darken from some heat treatment??

Sorry I forgot to answer your question. the natural color of the heart  wood is an orange pink.I heated the belly to get it to turn the color it is now. It actually turns purple with heat, but it left after finish sanding.

The sapwood is a very pale yellow color. I was going to leave it natural, but it shot so well that I decided that I might hunt with it, so I give it some natural camo. ;D

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:39 pm »
I've seen a lot of nice looking bows on here, but I have to say, that is something special right there.

I just kept staring at the pictures. Thanks for sharing, man, well done.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:45 am »
wow tim you just inspired me to put the rocks down and make a bow. shes beautiful
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Keenan

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »
 Timo, just had to take another look at this excellent bow that you made. Excellent in every way. Love it

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »
What a super fine lookin bow Timo,you did a great job.
Now is the good old days

Offline Shaun

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:29 am »
Timo, been a while since I cruised the PA site and what a treat to find this one! The tiller on that bow inspires me to keep reaching. Its tough enough with Gordon out there, now you too? Thanks man for lighting the fire.

Offline Timo

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 08:42:30 am »
Thanks again for the nice words all.

Shaun, long time no hear?  Good to know that my  work inspires someone, this craft should always yield something good and positive. As a bowyer the biggest compliment he can ever hope to achieve is that from  his peers. We never know if what we accomplish will ever touch someone in a way that may make them  strive to build their next bow a little better. A better arc, a better finish, a better design, or a step off into the grass to try something new,even though it is clearly marked that they should not?

Keep the fire burning brother.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:58:36 am by Timo »

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 10:28:23 am »
i cant believe the finish work you do and the tiller is so wonderful...i have to say that you are a master of such fine work..i would love to see what you could do with a piece of yew wood..john

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 10:33:36 am »
Beautiful looking wood and bow! Excellent work!

Venom

Offline Timo

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »
.i would love to see what you could do with a piece of yew wood..john

John, I tried it a couple years a ago. can't handle it,I had a reaction to the dust, so I have to stay away from it.

Thanks. ;)

Offline hbbows

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »
Timo,
I'm new to this site but have about 60 bows completed.  I'm curious about the coffee wood.  I picked up a couple of pieces at a small mill in northern Kentucky last week.  Did you round the belly somewhat?  The staves were not handled very carefully and the sapwood is gouged enough where I will have to get below it for a good growth ring.  Your bow looks very straight grained.  Was it naturally straight?  Did you straighten or can you get by with grain running off the edge somewhat. Not sure I have enough width for a tapered limb like yours.  Have you tried a long bow out of coffee.  The cherry bark is a very nice touch.   

HB