Author Topic: booniper bow  (Read 5080 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
booniper bow
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:03:19 am »
Hi Folks,  I can't remember who's post mentioned the term, but "bamboo backed juniper" is a little clumsy to type.   In this case the juniper is an ERC board from the local lumber store.   I donated the bow to the local club for a raffle prize.
Stats-  bamboo backed ERC, 68" tip to tip, currently tillered to 55# @ 28".  The handle is yew and hickory and the arrow rest is yew.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: booniper bow
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:09:05 am »
The club president agreed to pose for the full draw photo, but she couldn't really bring it to full draw.   Here is the new owner at his full 30" draw.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:23:20 am »
just unbraced profile

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:17:01 am »
Very nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:21:25 am »
Nice looking bow,bet it is light in the hand. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:54 am »
Handsome bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:44:20 am »
Looks really Nice....I have always like the Color and Grain of ERC...and it sure stares a lot of Energy for being so danged light.......good job
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:25 am »
Good looking bow :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:46 am »
 MP, I made a Booniper bow a few years ago.  But I don't think it was near as nice as this one.  Very nice and absolutely beautiful bow.  With juniper and bamboo it;s easy to have the boo to thick and and overpower the juniper because it's a very soft wood. But it looks like you nailed it . that is definitely a combo that I want to try again.  Congratulations on an outstanding bow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:29:30 pm by Keenan »

Grunt

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 01:04:17 pm »
nice bow, I also expect it's light in the hand. The lady shooting in the first pict has the Tiger Stripe camo on that we used in VN

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:02 pm »
Ken Villars and I made "boonipers" several years ago and it was posted on Paleoplanet. I think BB Juniper makes as fast a bow as there is.

Your bow looks real good M-P

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »
Gorgeous! The bow, too. And bookmarked under March Laminates for Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:57 pm »
Hi All  and thank you for the kind words.  I am happy with this bow, though I was worried at first that the bamboo would over power the belly.   After glue-up I sat on the stave for about a year thinking I'd made a mistake.  I finally trapped the bamboo ( like ~ 1/2 of the width) and then rounded the edges to hide the trapping.  It worked quite well, especially considering that I originally tillered this bow to #65 @ 28.   The raffle winner preferred a #55 draw so I retillered and then re-finished the bow.  I then shot it in with the 30 draw that the winner uses and the bow still has only ~ 1" of set after shooting.  As several of you noted the mass of the bow seems low, though I did not weigh it.    Ron

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »
great bow :)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »
Great job,that's a beauty.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas