Author Topic: Shelf and Handle  (Read 5531 times)

Pdwight

Shelf and Handle
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »
I have a reflex deflex that David Knight made for me, it is 90% finished. I have to add the limb tips and round and shape the handle....any tips will be welcome (no pun)

The arrow shelf is cut square and I think I should radius it a bit for less contact with the arrow on side and bottom ?? any pictures or tips

Also what material would you line the arrow shelf with ??

Thanks

PSS while I am asking , I am thinking about finishing this bow with truoil....thoughts ?? (Bamboo backed Ipe)

Dwight

Grunt

Re: Shelf and Handle
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »
Yes, radius the arrow shelf a bit. I use thin glove leather for my arrow plate and I sew the same leather around the handle with the seam in front. Contact cement the arrow plate on. A good source of thin soft leather are women's handbags at the Goodwill or thrift store. Just cut em up.  When you are shaping the bow's handle make it a little small because you will build it out with your wrap. Have fun

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:22:39 am »
Definitely radius the shelf. I use the soft side of Velcro for the shelf material and use thin leather (like buckskin) for the strike plate.

Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Pdwight

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:52:34 am »
Thanks for this info and these pictures. This brings more questions. Do you want the high point on the shelf to be all the way to the rear or in the middle of the shelf ?

And what do you use to stick the leather on the striker plate or is this a commercial product ? if so where do I get this ??

Thanks for your patience

Dwight

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:00:47 am »
I like to radius mine where the highest point is toward the back of the riser. It looks like Grunts is more toward the middle. To each is own, I don't think it will matter. I'm just different!
I use contact or Barge cement for the leather and the Velcro has a sticky back already.
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:09 am »
Thanks for this info and these pictures. This brings more questions. Do you want the high point on the shelf to be all the way to the rear or in the middle of the shelf ?

And what do you use to stick the leather on the striker plate or is this a commercial product ? if so where do I get this ??

Thanks for your patience

Dwight
The high point for the shelf should be just under where the arrow touches it  ::).
Del (That's Brit humour for anyone who mistakenly thinks I was being serious :-[)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »
If might ask a question without hijacking the thread too much.  Does this hump serve any purpose, such adding more wood to strenghten the area around the cut-in arrow rest?  I see this style handle alot on bows with cut-in arrow rest.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »
it reinforces the lateral cut for the shelf.  Since you are essentially making that area narrower, you want to compensate by making it thicker in the handle in my opinion. Also it cradles your thumb web space in the correct position (keeps it from sliding up on the handle.   :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:35:40 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:11 pm »
it reinforces the lateral cut for the shelf.  Since you are essentially making that area narrower, you want to compensate by making it thicker in the handle in my opinion. Also it cradles your thumb web space in the correct position (keeps it from sliding up on the handle.   :)

Thanks Josh, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Pdwight

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »
How in the world do you stitch the leather around the handle so tight and even ??

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:55 pm »
Old ancient secret
How in the world do you stitch the leather around the handle so tight and even ??

Old ancient secret ;) ;D

Actually, I just take my time.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:11 pm »
Do you want the high point on the shelf to be all the way to the rear or in the middle of the shelf ?

Dwight
I like it toward the back. I also radius the vertical portion but not nearly so much.

I use barge cement to glue on stretched tight with no wrinkles and fitting the shape long before it is stitched.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 11:40:07 am »
Josh and Okie, thanks for answering my question but I'm still confused as to why there is so much wood in that bublous top hump.  Isn't wood thickness like 5 times stronger than width.  So if you cut the shelf .5 inches deep into the side of the bow, thus reducing it's width wouldn't you only need .1 inch of thickness to compensate for the lost of width?  And it seem the largest portion of the bulbous isn't directly behind the large reduction of the width.  I"m not trying to argue with you all.  I'm just trying to learn bow building.  I've never cut an arrow shelf and am thinking might do so for a bow for a friend.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Aries

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »
Practice lol ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 04:02:53 am »
Practice lol ;D

I can get it done, but sure not as good as Okie's! - A build-along would be great!
Frank from Germany...