Author Topic: Turkey Wing Turkey Call!!!  (Read 4687 times)

VenomBOWslinger

Turkey Wing Turkey Call!!!
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:40 am »
Hello guys,  after me and the fam had some dinner I decided to spend some time with my son and teach him how to make a turkey call using wing bones.  It is a rather simple but effect call.  I have always got something to respond to it turkeys, deer, even a coyote.   Me and my son had a great time crafting and as always I made up a crazy story to go along with it to really grab his attention.  With computers and video games being mor appealing to kids these days.. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.  Needless to say it was a great day for the both of us and he spent most of the evening on the back porch yelping and waiting for a callback!  Thanks guys heres a pic!!!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: Turkey Wing Turkey Call!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:18:48 am »
perty call ;D
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:34 pm »
thats cool. i need to try that.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
Nice call, it's my go to call in the spring. I have one made from a Hen, and those Tom turkeys sure like it !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:23:32 pm »
Nice Call, Russ.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:31:09 pm »
wild hens and jakes (yearling gobblers) make the best calls since the tone from them is a little higher and sharper, but do not throw away a gobbler's wingbones on that account.  I have made several gobbler wing calls and they work well in the fall...just slow your rhythm a little and do two yelps, like a large and dominant tom would do.

And for that matter, if you carry a slate call, try using the mouthpiece of the wingbone call as your striker!

Sheesh, giving away my secrets for nothing, what am I thinking.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17:24 pm »
wild hens and jakes (yearling gobblers) make the best calls since the tone from them is a little higher and sharper, but do not throw away a gobbler's wingbones on that account.  I have made several gobbler wing calls and they work well in the fall...just slow your rhythm a little and do two yelps, like a large and dominant tom would do.

And for that matter, if you carry a slate call, try using the mouthpiece of the wingbone call as your striker!

Sheesh, giving away my secrets for nothing, what am I thinking.

no secrets,not to us turkey hunting addicts ;D

i have  a hen,jake and tom wing calls
ive used my tom wing call in spring and fall.it is more effective in the fall,however it can,in the spring time,(i have had it happen) call in a flock of jakes and toms and make them commence to fighting.
this usually only happens right after flydown in the a.m.

great that you can get your son to do these things with you.who knows some day he may not even care about the video games and such and would rather do something primitive
with the ol' man ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »
LOL Sailordad.... and thanks guys for the great responses as always. my dog seams to like it as well.  Thanks for ur hunting tips as well fellas I cant wait for spring I made a few bows over the winter and some nice points too.  Take care guys!

Russ

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
Curious if you (or anyone else) has had vibration issues with how you wrapped it?  I had one I wrapped up like that and could get it to vibrate very well.  I had to unwrap it and plug the gaps around the fittings to get the best vibration?  I've only made 3, though.  Good job and good luck!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 01:19:04 pm »
 Very cool, I want to try one of thoses some day.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23:13 pm »
I attach the two (or sometimes three) wingbones together with a mix of sawdust and two part epoxy.  Sand the joints smooth after the filler sets up and THEN wrap with sinew, thread, or fine cord.  Should hold together plenty good until you sit on it.   (been there, done that)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:48 am »
Great looking call.