Author Topic: any cedar bows ?  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: any cedar bows ?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
I've made a few ERC bows.  Some explode.  Here's a takedown with fake snake paint.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »
Here's another...

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
And one more.  This one's backed with triggerfish skin.  Tough stuff.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 10:05:50 pm »
I made a sinew backed ERC.  I chased a ring and backed it with 3 full layers of sinew and one crowning layer.  I tillered it to 26" and was to the point of finishing it then it blew up >:(.  I'll try ERC again, but not for a while.  Seeing all the ERC bows that shoot, I guess it depends on the quality of the stave you start with. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »
Man, those are pretty bows!  Of all the woods out there, I think ERC has to make the prettiest bows, to my eyes.  There's lots that look really good, but I like the way the wood looks on the cedar best I think. 

eddiebojones

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:23 pm »
I would lean more to saying they are eastern because the cedars I have are giants that would take 2 people to hug them. No bushes here. Ha Ha        Mexia Texas       Great sap wood for sure    I downed some dying saplings about 12 inches in diameter and about 2 3rds is sap wood with small heart wood. I got 3 staves from each of the 2 trees and will put them in the smokehouse after I whittle them a bit and tie them down.

eddiebojones

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:29 pm »
Glad to see you are here gstoneberg (GREAT)
Awsome work there stickhead    (Motivation for sure)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:34 pm »
I would lean more to saying they are eastern because the cedars I have are giants that would take 2 people to hug them. No bushes here. Ha Ha        Mexia Texas       Great sap wood for sure    I downed some dying saplings about 12 inches in diameter and about 2 3rds is sap wood with small heart wood. I got 3 staves from each of the 2 trees and will put them in the smokehouse after I whittle them a bit and tie them down.

Good deal Eddie, I'm glad I was wrong about the cedar.  You interested in trading some cedar staves for osage?  The cedar bows in this thread are just gorgeous and I got the itch to make one bad.  Let me know when you want to work on them and I'll drive down.  12 inch saplings, that is funny.

George
St Paul, TX

eddiebojones

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:12 pm »
I would be glad to trade some cedar for osage or just let you have all you need. I have plenty of cedar trees of all sizes on the place. Just call me anytime George.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »
I love ERC but it does make me flinch.  I've had two explode in my hands and wack me in the face.  But they are beautiful an when they hold together they zing an arrow.  Here is the one of the three of mine that held together.  Probably was the only stave worth making a bow out of too.

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »
Nice.  Looks like that bow has some weight to it too.  I have punched myself in the face before, it's a bummer for sure.  I still want to try it.  Did the bows that broke fail from the belly or back?

Eddie, I'll call you and set something up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mspink

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:43 am »
I've made one about like kship85's and it was 50lb @ 26". It held together for a year of shooting and then I gave it away. I cut the tree down in Arkansas off my grandfathers place. Was on of the fastest fifties that I've made... I have also made a few kids bows with it... Pretty stuff!
Aim small miss small!

Offline KShip85

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:34 am »
Nice.  Looks like that bow has some weight to it too.  I have punched myself in the face before, it's a bummer for sure.  I still want to try it.  Did the bows that broke fail from the belly or back?

Thanks, yeah it came in at 75 lbs at 27 inches and it scares the crap out of me every time I pull it back, lol.  The two that I have had fail both failed on the back.  The first one was a short bow that I believe I just drew too far back.  It was unbacked and had shot a hundred arrows or so before it went.  The other one that blew had some weird indentations on the back, like little valleys everywhere.  It was backed it a cotton canvas and I am almost 100 % certain it failed because I was not thinking and left it in the back of my work shop above the stove for about 5 days where it spent a lot of time at around 90 degrees and 30 % humidity according the my thermometer/humidity meter.  Never thought about letting it rehydrate and I am almost sure it was low moisture content that caused its demise. 

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 03:52:17 am »
Hi Guys,   I figure I'll jump in for my 2 cents worth.   I like ERC and similar junipers for bow wood.  Not everyone is so enamored.  I offered to trade one of my juniper staves a while back and was rebuffed.  The guy said he already had plenty of cedar "it made good bedding for his turkeys."   The stuff I collected in Cherry county Nebraska is Rocky Mountain juniper.  Other parts of Nebraska have ERC.   Jackcrafty has posted some nice bows made of ASHE juniper collected in Tx.   These junipers are all very similar in wood and overall appearence.  The seasoned wood smells good and works well with hand tools.  The wood is reputed to be much better in compression than tension and a backing of some sort is often suggested for longevity.  That said I've made some unbacked ELBs that have worked just fine.
Here are a few of my efforts.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 03:57:04 am »
and two moreRon
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers