Author Topic: New to the subject  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Crash

New to the subject
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »
Hey Guys, first of all, happy to be here, my first post ever!

I've been doing primitive camping trips for the past three years, made my own leather, knives, clothes, and this year I thought I'd make my own bow. I really really like short bows as we hike a lot and I'm only really interested in small game hunting (don't want to carve up a dear and make it last a week in the wild)

How would I go about making a short bow (48" or less), @ 30-40#. Not really concerned with draw length. D style? Relex/deflex? woods available in NY?

I was thinking of using hickory and backing it with another type of wood, or maybe silk.

Thanks for the input!
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline bryan irwin

Re: New to the subject
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »
welcome to pa hickory will make good bow i have made bows from maple hickory red oak and ipe
bryan irwin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
Welcome aboard Crash! Others will chime in but the shorter the bow you build the trickier it gets. I would say Hic is a good choice to start with..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:13:28 am by cowboy »
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:21:50 pm »
Welcome aboard!  From the sound of things, it almost sounds like you think you're going to just build one...ha ha ha, good luck with that.  Hickory definitely is good stuff.  Especially if you haven't built one before.  Shorter draw D style bow.  Keep us posted!
1’—>1’

Offline Crash

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »
Thanks, I've done a lot of research, but research can only take you so far.  :)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:43:30 pm »
Look at the West Coast/Pacific NW Paddle Bows or other pyramid styles - all of which can be made even from Lowe's red oak boards. 
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:00:16 am »
Welcome,look bace through the bow section,lots of short bow there and plenty of people ready to help. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:08 am »
welcome aboard.  start early because you will probably be making more than one bow before you get one completed and you like.  I am on my fourth.  had two break during tillering one that actually shoots put pull is to light.  I dont think the wood type matters so much as aviability of  good staves to start from.  have fun making shavings.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:50 am »
Where ya from Crash might just be one of us live close by and you can get some one on one lessons :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:07:49 am »
Welcome, Crash! Jawhe
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:31:31 am »
welcome,,as for as wood hickory is your best local wood ,, it will not need backing,,I would push the length to 56- 58  and make a d bow, you can make a plains style quiver with bow case to handle a bow of this length,, I am afraid that a bow 48 or less will not be fun to shoot or accurate,,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

half eye

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:47 am »
Welome aboard Crash,
         Like the others said....a "D" bow is probably your best bet, if you go that short. But they do have to bend ALL the way through.....as you get closer to being done ....go slow, then slow down some more, dont bend too much to soon. Good luck with your "first" and there is a lot of knowledgeable people here to help you along.............this does get addictive, so be warned ;D
half eye

Offline Crash

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:35 pm »
Thanks everyone, I was up til 2 last night reading through old posts on short bows. I'm pretty sure I want to make a paddle bow, thanks to KenH for the reference :)

I live in the Binghamton Area of NY, south-central upstate.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »
crash i feel like the child interupting the grown folks here but the shorter you go the wider it needs to be and the thiner it will have to be which creates lots more work and more chance of hingeing a limb. give a 60in a try its really not that bad to carry ! and hickory edge grained boards would be a good starting place

Offline Crash

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:40:56 pm »
OK. so I decided to listen to those who know more and start out with a longer bow for my first attempt. I went to Lowes and picked up a 3/4"x2"x6' in maple and red oak. The pickings were kinda slim so I decided I would need to back it. I was going to use the maple for the belly and oak for the backing, and was thinking of making it around 54". Couple of things.

1: Does this sound like it might work?

2: How do I figure out my draw length?

3: Can I use Gorilla glue?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:44:56 pm by Crash »