Author Topic: Burl?  (Read 10977 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Burl?
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:10:01 pm »
Is burl worth anything....can it be made into anything to put on a bow?  Ive got a few trees in mind that have some big burls on them...thining about cutting them off or cutting the trees down
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Burl?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:27 pm »
Kyler...you cut the Trees down ...and send the Burls to Me!! And I will make knife Handles from it..... ;D...Might even be in for a Trade for some....never know......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:51 pm »
They're great for pens, bowls, vases, boxes, etc. too. For bows they would probably only be useable as part of a rigid riser or tip overlays.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:25:34 am »
well im def gonna have to go cut some off....some for me and some for trade huh
GBR!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:40:13 am »
Kyler they sell burl wood by the pound and it ain't cheap, check out the knife Mechslasher posted in anything else
it has a burl wood handle :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:40:35 am »
                                                                  DANA.............. :-X

O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:34 am »
So whats the Black Locust Burl i have posted worth ? It's got to weigh 35 #'s ? but it's not dry !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:32 am »
Red oak burl, makes very striking overlays also.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
So whats the Black Locust Burl i have posted worth ? It's got to weigh 35 #'s ? but it's not dry !

Depends on the quality of the burl, where you sell it and who you sell it to. Being green (wet) lowers the price per pound typically but bowl turners typically prefer green wood. If you sold it whole you might get $2.50-$5 a pound depending on demand. Black locust is not the most sought after wood by many because it is a hard wood to turn.

If you were to mill it into blocks or planks and dry it you could probably get higher prices. The smaller you cut it, the higher the price per pound goes because you factor in loss for kerf, edges, etc. If you were to cut it down to pen blank size (7/8" square by 5"-5.5" long) you could get $2.50-$5 per blank if they were good quality, dry and you sell it in the right place (PM me if you want more info on this). Figuring each pen blank would only weigh 2-3 ounces, you'd get $20-$30 per pound.

It takes more time to mill it and dry it but you get more return.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »
WOW ! I guess i'm going to start saving Burls  :)

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »
I use burls sometimes. Here are before and after shots.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:21 pm »
 :o  ...words cannot describe how awesome that is...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:56 pm »
Dang Grunt, what kind of tree was that ? Pretty cool !

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
AWESOME!

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:11 pm »
would that be considered a dessert bowl? ;D
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy