Author Topic: 39" bow, 25" draw ....your chuckle for the day  (Read 12170 times)

half eye

39" bow, 25" draw ....your chuckle for the day
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:12 pm »
        Was out in the shed (where else?) working on a 61" mollegabet (what else?) when some dry rot decided that the upper lever was going away (duck and cover).......so since I don't need no stakes I figured that it was gettin personal. Cut both levers off at the fades, cut the working limbs in half (size wise) and formed new levers.........and there ya go, it was a midget ;D
        Had to thin down the limbs so I'd have some fat 'ole levers and here she is. It's 40", 39 ntn, draws a full 25" at the astronomical weight of 30#....sweet Jesus it's a killer!!!!!

I'll find some youngster who will like it, and it beats bein a stake. So here is your chuckle for the day from:
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: 39" bow, 25" draw ....your chuckle for the day
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:40:16 pm »
 ;D 8) 8) 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:29 pm »
Super little bow lol. It always gets interesting when things get personal lol 8)
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:44:11 pm »
  1/2 I have been working on some bows just like that for light arrow flight bows. having trouble getting wood wide enough for 50# and still make my 25" draw. Just for the heck of it try a very light short arrow out of that bow and see how she shoots, it might surprise you. I grind down old arrows on my belt sander to about 150 grains. Steve

half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »
Badger,
         will be happy to do that....how wide of a stick do ya need....and what kind of wood? There might be one or two  ;D floatin around here some place LOL seriously....what kind ya need got staves and fully quartersawn think theres some of both in red elm.
let ya know about the arrow flight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:34 pm »
Nice bow, half. Even nicer is what yo said about giving it to a kid. Good for you. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
Yup, that stick was goin' to be a bow weather it liked it or not ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »
cool Bow Half Eye!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Diligence

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:29:34 pm »
I love it!  ....and so will some neighbor kid.  watch out neighborhood cats rabbits!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:57:52 pm »
Hey Badger,
      Made me one o them skinny slivers (pic attached) it's 26" white oak, 3 5" parabolic....self knock and superglue hardened head, just dont tell nobody how the hillbilly makes them secret flite-arrows eh?  It weighs 165.6 grn's and I managed to stay out long enough to fire that arrow 5 times .....shortest was 98yds and the farthest was 103 yds......the distance was not to good but damned if it didn't get out there real quick....that was a shock.
      Thought I'd let ya know. Oh ya, the arrow shaft was tapered from .195" at the knock, .212" mid shaft, and .227" at the tip....didn't want to make it any thinner......all my 3/8 huntin arrows was taking bad to that skinny girl in the house!!!!
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »
Hehe, that's brilliant ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:03:14 pm »
I should have told ya to knock those feathers down to 1" long and 1/4" high, you might get almost double the distance if you shoot up at about 45 degrees. You have a lot of feather holding back a very light arrow, acting like a flu flu. Looks like you are having fun, I can relate. Steve

half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:18:26 pm »
Badger,
        That's what I been doing wrong.....ya got to glue them squirrels on with tail out the back....damned ;D  Flight shooting aint my thing if ya haven't all ready guessed.
Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »
The arrow looks real good! Are you going to tell us your arrow making tecnique?

half eye

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:47:05 pm »
Badger
        I make all my arrow shafts the same way. I cut some straight grain quartersawn into 3/8" "squares" then use the belt sander to make them into octagons. Then I eaither hand sand them round or roll them on the belt sander. Put my hand on the shaft to hold it down on the belt and turn it with the other one.
        When you asked about the flight thing....the only shafting I had at the moment was the white oak so that's what I used. Normally I prefer black ash but haven't got to my friends table saw to make the "squares" recently. The black ash is about the weight of spruce but a whole lot tougher.
        Not very scientific but it works for me....a doweling tool would be better but they cost money and then I'd have to go back to school etc.etc. so hopefully I wont screw up any more good hands, they're gettin to be in short supply :D
Rich