Author Topic: Too much character?  (Read 8378 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Too much character?
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »
I'm new here, found this site searching for help on making a hickory self bow.  I live in the North Dallas burbs in Texas and have access to lots of osage.  A friend and I cut quite a large tree down in 2008 and a while back I split out this stave and I'm wondering what the odds are it might make a bow?  It would be odd, given the extreme curve on one limb but straight on the other.  Not sure I could get the string in the handle, but I can always bend one limb.

For perspective, here it is next to my last bow, an osage bow in progress at the time:

I did finish that bow (50# @ 28"):

and gave it to a friend.  Here he is shooting it:

Compared to what I've seen you guys make, it's pretty plain, but it was fun and my friend likes it.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline michbowguy

Re: Too much character?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »
very nice...and snakey! ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:38:25 am »
Working a stave like that will teach you a lot about wood and wood working...but from looking at your other bow, I'd say you already know that.  ;)   Welcome to PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:16 am »
Awesome stave man!   Welcome to PA, you should fit right in!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:50:11 am »
 looks like it has a perfect sight window if you use this end for the top ;)

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:45 am »
Its not plain at all.  It looks just as good as any other snakey bow Ive seen.  Keep in mind taking good pictures can add to the effect or appearence.  Try taking a few pics with the sun setting or use shadows and see how different things look!  By the way awesome bow and crazy hunk of wood u got there.  Build us something out of that now u got us curious to see what u can do!!!

Cheers,
Russ

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:00 am »
Nice job on a Challenging piece of wood.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
That's just awesome! Very well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:11 am »
Wow, I wouldn't have thought that'd be doable.  Awesome job and welcome to PA!
1’—>1’

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:28 am »
Man some of you guys need to read before replying..... That bow isnt from the stave he's asking about. 

Gstone, Looks like a challenging piece for sure, what have you got to lose? Give it a shot!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Diligence

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:16 am »
To build on Gstone's question, just how much is too much? 

Sawfiler was working this stave..   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17535.0.html   and the limbs are pretty snakey, but at what point does the snakey shape of the limbs start to affect performance?

D

PS Gstone...that IS some knarly looking wood to work with!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »
Thanks for the kind welcome.  The bow I sent pictures of is the same bow sitting on the saw horses next to the  gnarly stave.  I honestly haven't worked up the nerve to work that bent stave.  The bend is so severe that the load will be sideways on some of the wood and I'm not sure how or if it will work.  That was the gist of my question.  My favorite bow is a sinew backed osage of about 62" length with a big knot hole in the upper limb.  The only picture I have of it here at work also has a dead deer in it.  Not sure if that kind of picture is appropriate in this forum.  It was also a thin gnarly stave that I put off working on a couple years.  I shot the one deer with it and then retired it as I didn't want to risk blowing it up around that knot.  It would only draw about 25" and was not my best tiller job.  At 3d shoots I got a lot of grief that I had a peep sight.

The best osage I've ever worked with was an old corner post I found in southern Nebraska when we lived up there.  Talk about seasoned...and without a single knot!  Too short for a full stave, I have to join billets to use it.  I've toyed with making a take-down, has anyone done that?  I've saved half that old post for a special project someday.  I used 2 billets from it to help a high school student make his first bow.  I do have pics of that one here.

Here he is after shooting it for the first time with the handle unfinished, no handle wrap or rest.

Here he is shooting it when it was finished.

That one was 65# @ 28".  It's a little heavy for me, but he can shoot it.  He's coming down to hog hunt with me, rumor has it he's made a bow for me but I won't see it for another month or 2.  That'll be fun.

To be honest, I'd rather teach somebody to build a bow than build one myself.  I learned in a John Strunk class in Montana in 1995.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
Give it a go, you did real well with the bow you posted, and that looked like it was a tough piece of wood.  Looking forward to seeing pics. of the progress.  Keep us posted.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:10:23 pm »
Crazy stave and nice bow for your buddy- Good luck!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:07 pm »
What kind of length you got to the crook on the short limb?