Author Topic: San Diego woods  (Read 1735 times)

RLewisH

San Diego woods
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »
Well, I'm 14 and I just got into Archery from regular hunting... I know how to shoot and everything, I've had a compound bow for about half a year but been shooting almost a year now. I can make arrowheads out of bones (thanks to grandmas ribs) but I've always wanted to make a bow. I know what I need, and already have it (my grandpa's a master carpenter) so I just wanted to know if anyone knows what type of wood from the San Diego/Southern California area would work... If there is a type of wood I can buy at Lowes or Home Depot that would be great as well. Thanks.  ??? ??? ???

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: San Diego woods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:05:57 pm »
Hey Lewis.

You can start out by making your first bow out of a board from home depo. Red oak should work, just make it long over 60 inches. Also try a piece with straight grain. I myself started making bows when I was around 13-14, I made my first bow out of a board from home depo. If you want to try a stave bow you can look for ash which is very common in cities, live oaks, oaks, mulberry. If I get more red mulberry staves Ill give you one, just pay the shipping, and the only condition is to post as you make it : )   anyway try the board and ask questions and dont worry if you break a few.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Benvse

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
if you can find a good hardwood dealer you might be able to find a nice hickory board to.  My first was red oak form lowes it wan't great and I was still pretty tickled with it.  If you break your first few don't worry I broke my first 8 bows.  Just be willing to learn and post any questions along the way the guys on this sight have helped a whole lot.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »
hey there young man,

somebody said this in this community,--"if you ain't breakin' them, you ain't makin' them.  patience is a virtue in this endeavour.  have at it though.  it definitely is a rewarding esperience. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
My first was a red oak board.  I had used Titebond and dry wall tape to back it.  It came in lightweight and had some frets but I was off and running.  Then I broke about 8 or 10!  My first good bows came from hickory boards.  If your grandfather or someone can help you to cut thin backing strips of wood - that would be great.  TitebondIII and a split bicycle innertube to wrap the glue up works very well.  Be sure to post pictures of your work step by step and take your time and you'll have a much higher success rate with the help you'll find around here!  Welcome!
1’—>1’

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »
Lewis, The local chapter of the Calif. bowhunters may have some guys in it making selfbows. also there is a big crew that meets at the Pasadena Club the third sunday of each month.

I'll send you a note on your e-mail with some more details