Author Topic: Ipe Glue Line Failed  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Muina

Ipe Glue Line Failed
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:13:27 pm »
Hi, I've been building a bow (Boo - Ipe - Ipe) and the glue's failed on the Ipe - Ipe glue line. I know exactly why it's failed, the scales I were using to weigh the mixture (I'm using Resorcinol Resin) stopped working just as I was weighing the hardener in so there was way too much hardener in the glue.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any way I could purposely de-lam the bow without damaging the other two laminations?

I would rather do this than start a new bow as it's getting sold and is already quite late (I forgot how hard Ipe was, didn't give myself enough time)

Thanks

Anthony

Offline Muina

Re: Ipe Glue Line Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:20:00 pm »
Oh yea, I forgot to ask, I've run out of the Resorcinol and have found a place where I can get West System Epoxy for a tiny bit cheaper. I know it can be used for bows but is it any good on Ipe?

I'm very cautious about using Ipe because I've had plenty of failed bows with various different glues.

Thanks

Anthony

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »
I know that recorsinol is Weather and Boil Proof...so I am not sure that Heat would help it to let go...plus you are going to have all that Glue to Scrape off when seperated too.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Muina

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:28:45 pm »
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I think it's already way above draw weight so I might as well just run the separated lam through the surface planer anyway.

I think I might just bandsaw it off and try my hardest not to run into the other lam, what do people think?

Thanks

Anthony

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »
I'd bandsaw it as close to the line as possible and then use the belt sander to get the rest off.  That way once it all comes off, you have a flat surface for gluing again.  That's what I would do.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Muina

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 02:03:13 pm »
Right, I've done a little bit more research into the West System question I asked, and it seems perfectly fine to use on Ipe.

I'm not sure whether to wipe the Ipe down as I've also read that Cellulose Thinners (which I'd be using) are sometimes used to clean uncured Epoxy from surfaces. But I might as well give it a try, I've got nothing to lose really.

Good idea, the belt sander didn't even cross my mind lol.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll see if I can get some pics up once it's finished

Anthony

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:34:13 pm »
On my last redo, I used a farrier's rasp to remove the bamboo backing.
Gordon

Offline Muina

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
Ok, I started again and glued the old boo backing on the new bow, that one snapped because it was bent sideways and I was trying to straighten it a bit (oops), but then I tried another bow, did everything as slowly and well as I could, and yet again the Ipe-Ipe glue line failed. So I've given up on this one for now, when I'm not making it to fill an order I'll experiment and try a bit more.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. As a compromise I'm going to give him an Ash backed Black Walnut (it's quite a nice bow, not what he asked for but it's stressed me out enough lol)

Thanks again

Anthony

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 12:17:57 am »
What type of WEST are you going to try? Remember the 105 isn't really for gluing. If you can get the G-Flex you'll be better off.

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:21:49 am »
What are you using to clean the surfaces with, before applying your glue?

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »
The only delamination I've had was ipe with a hickory backing using resorcinol.  I don't think that I cleaned the ipe enough (I use acetone nail varnish remover - cheap and easy to get).  The surface on ipe seems to oxidise and take on a patina pretty quickly after you have worked it.  So I'd take care to do some thorough preparation on the srufaces.  Might not have been the cause of your problem but it certainly won't do any harm!

Stan

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »
BGB...make sure that when You use Nail Polish Remover...that it isn't the Kind with added Oils...Use only Acetone...or Non-Oily Nail Polish Remover...I use either MEK...or Acetone any more...can't buy Toluene anywhere anymore without  Permit... :(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Muina

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
Oh bugger, I've got the 105 West System. How come it's no good?

I've used White Spirits and Cellulose Thinners before, but the best results I've had so far have been from Methylated Spirits. I did finally find somewhere that sells Acetone but it's in a tiny 50ml bottle that costs £1.50, and that only just lasts one bow. I've just bought some fingernail polish remover but I've just read the back and it's got added moisturiser. I can't find anywhere that sells just Acetone in reasonable quantities for a decent price! All the fingernail polish remover I've seen is either Acetone free or with added moisturiser.

I have used Ipe before, but I've never tried an Ipe-Ipe glue, I'm starting to really hate the stuff now though (even though it is my favourite bow wood :P)

This is the way I usually glue up Ipe:

I dampen a small area of a clean rag with the spirits/acetone, then rub the surface of the wood with it. I keep going until there's not colour/oils being deposited on the rag, then just do an extra quick wipe down and let it evaporate. Then I put a thin bead of glue on the surface and spread it out so that it covers the whole area and I use inner tube to clamp the lams together on a straight and sturdy form (no R/D or recurve for now) to stop any warping or bending.

Please tell me if there are any problems with my glueing methods or equipmwnt or anything, or is it just bad luck?

Thanks so much for everyone's help, I really hope I can sort this whole Ipe thing out because I absolutely love working with the wood.

Thanks again

Anthony

Offline Muina

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 09:32:55 am »
Just a thought actually, if I the Acetone took longer to evaporate than I expected, would that affect the glue?

Also, is the procedure the same for cleaning when using Titebond III? I have some of that and I've heard plenty of success stories with that, but when I did a glue test on it, the line didn't seem to hold

Thanks

Anthony

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:49 am »
What are you doing for the glueing surface? Is is baby but smooth,or does it have some roughness to it?

can you get your hands on some Urac? If so get it,sand your glue joints with 36 grit or use a toothing plane.It will hold.