Author Topic: Gonna start a new bow tomorrow! Need input please.  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Gonna start a new bow tomorrow! Need input please.
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:37:07 pm »
I'm gonna work up a bow for a friend and I'm wondering what combo to use...looking for 45-50 @28"-62 to 64" length.
1. I was thinking Boo backed Hickory, but I hear people have their doubts on that one.
2. Also I could go with a hick backed hick.....that may be a safe bet.
3. I could also use a hick backed Jatoba, but my last one developed fractures on the belly, but it does still shoot after 3 years!
4. I wanted to use some hornbeam that this friend gave me...I MAY be able to rip out a couple of slats for a backed bow, either using boo or hickory. The log I have is prety gnarly and has a few knots. I can't do a selfbow in this case as I don't have the experience..
5. Right now I don't have any IPE or Osage so that's out.
6. MAybe a hickory backed maple????Never tried that one.

So????If you all had your druthers, whick combo would you suggest? or maybe you guys have something I haven't thought of?

half eye

Re: Gonna start a new bow tomorrow! Need input please.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:44 pm »
Eastern,
     I'm not familiar with some of the wood that you mention but if you are looking for a real durable bow, with really good performance you may want to think about maple backed maple....sounds dumb but the two I made are still going strong...including the one that my granddaughter slambed in a car door. (I made mine with 3 parts belly to 1 part backer) It is also hard to beat any wood backed with elm. For what ever it's worth to you.
half eye

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:57:34 pm »
Eastern,
     I'm not familiar with some of the wood that you mention but if you are looking for a real durable bow, with really good performance you may want to think about maple backed maple....sounds dumb but the two I made are still going strong...including the one that my granddaughter slambed in a car door. (I made mine with 3 parts belly to 1 part backer) It is also hard to beat any wood backed with elm. For what ever it's worth to you.
half eye

Well Thanks HAlfeye. Never considered that one! Howz the performance from your bows?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:56:23 am »
ttt

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:07:11 am »
i have to agree, maple backed maple makes a great r/d.  just a maple self is pretty tough as well.  i have seen hickory backed maple a few times.  Maple gets my vote, maybe with a cool sunburst dye job.  that white wood takes dyes really well.  don't forget the pics!

half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:36:16 am »
Eastern,
       I would put my maple/maple up against any bow....it is a simple straight taper with 6" stiff tips and shoots my regular 650-700 grain arrows REAL well.....at ten yards the arrows hit as soon as you let go ( that is how it sounds) have not chronographed any of my bows so cant help you there....the maple/maple will put one of my "heavy" arrows out to 180 yards as a normal thing. and it shoots flat at 20 yards......can you tell I like it ;D
       I'm not saying the bow is the be all of bows....just that it gets the job done and done well, and for this old hunter thats good enough.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:07:27 pm »
YA know...I may just change my plans and do a hick backed hardmaple...Got lots of Maple flooring to use too!
I'll save the prepped boo I did for some IPE I got coming.
Thanks.