Author Topic: question on nocks  (Read 1102 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
question on nocks
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:01 am »
all of my bows so far have very simple nocks, i am building a bow now that has fancier nocks and i have a question on them. as the bow comes to full draw the loop pops out of the groove on the side of the nocks, now it isn't popping off the nock so i am not worried that string is going to come off but it is annoying when your comign to full draw and the string pops. should i take some wood off the side of the nocks behind the groove so that it still opens up as you draw but the transition is smooth so it doesn't pop, or should i file the groove deeper so that the loop stays put? your opinions please...

thanks, Dan.

maybe i just need to tweek this design so i have a built in draw check?
45# at 27"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: question on nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »
I would open the string grooves like this... How long is the bow and how far are ya pullin it? 

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »
bow is 65" ntn, pulling 29", rigid handle section. i know i'm pushing it a little bit, but there is very little set. initially i thought it woudl be better to open them up as you suggested, but then you have a lot of rubbing on the loop with every shot, maybe that isn't a problem?
45# at 27"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »
not if everything is sanded smooth, edges rounded, string waxed... etc.  I have never had a problem with the loops wearing out...  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln