Author Topic: 48" maple shortbow...  (Read 3845 times)

Offline michbowguy

48" maple shortbow...
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »
its just a short sliver taken from a stave,and i quickly worked it to pencil thin tips and double looped a flemmish loop around one end and a timber hitch at the other..very snappy and about 55 lbs at 22 inches of draw, oh yea its not backed.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:19:03 pm by michbowguy »

Offline acker

Re: 48" maple shortbow...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:34:37 pm »
All three maple bows do bent to much in the handle area and half of the limbs are stiff.
The collore work looks good :)

Gruß acker

Offline broketooth

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:53 pm »
again wow, you relly got the short bow nailed dont ya ;D

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:02:55 pm »
 very cool brother.. glad to see you back on here.. been a while!
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:31:09 pm »
If that bow was mine, I think I'd get the right limb bending more. It's very flat mid-limb, doing most of the bending at the fade. The left limb looks much better, and I'd try and match the right limb to it.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:47:04 am »
I concur with ADB.........

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:10:17 pm »
i agree.
 did not want to mess with it anymore,as there is a big lumpy knot right where it should bend on the right limb.
its the first time even trying to make a short stout bow, it was going to be an atlatl!
...probably should have made an atlatl with it as im not too fond of short bows and my kids cant pull the beast back!
i like my full size bows around 45-50 lbs.
made it in about a half an hour out of a sliver of maple.

Offline woodsroamer

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:09:51 am »
I had a similar problem with a short 50 inch ashe juniper bow I just completed. I'm not a big fan of ashe juniper but I have three staves and decided to try making one into a bow. Looks very similar to the one pictured which, by the way, looks very good although I agree with others who think the right limb is a bit stiff. Ashe juniper is tricky in tillering because it's so soft, i.e., you can overdo things if not careful. Anyway, it was bending a lot through the handle and needed more bend in the limbs. Stubborn and persistent (I had already backed the bow with Irish linen twine) I went back to my cabinet scraper and started the methodical shaving of paper thin strips, watching the tiller and pull weight with caution and care, and finally, I got a bow that pulls 49 pounds at 22 inches which works for my Indian stance, hunched over shooting style: Great for hunting in the South Texas Brushlands.

NOTE: Short bows have their place. When hunting in nearly impenetrable brushland anything longer than 55 inches becomes ungainly and awkward. Shots are usually no more than about 20-30 feet.