Author Topic: 15 year old osage  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Frode

15 year old osage
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »
Hi all,
I just came into possession of a six foot by 3 1/2" wide split osage log (stave?).  So the story goes, this was selected and cut by a bowyer to become a bow stave, and was given to an acquaintance of mine to try his hand at bow making.  Fifteen years ago.  This acquaintance has now decided that, despite the best of intentions, he is not going to get that bow made, so he brought it to me to see if I was interested.  This wood was stored in a garage for the whole time, and so far, I don't see any sign of insect or rot damage.  There is a gnarly looking section of grain near one end, and a radial crack or check on one end, but it isn't too big, and would probably end up being cut out anyway.
I know this log's been sitting a long time, but this is Indiana, and I don't know if this state's ever been south of 20% humidity.
What say you, is osage this old still usable?
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: 15 year old osage
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »
If it doesn't have any insect damage it should make a dandy bow.  15 years is just well seasoned ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »
It's no good, I will dispose of it for you.  :) Osage could lay outside for twice that long and not rot, that should make a great bow!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »
Have at it!!!!!  if, however, you don't feel comfortable using such old wood i'll take it off your hands O:)   You know a few people have to ask, right!

flinthills50

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:59:56 pm »
How wide is it? You might get two bows out of it! If the bark was removed you might want to remove the sapwood before you layout the bow. Sometimes when just the sapwood is left on, it will get checks/cracks that can damage the heartwood under it. Good Luck! It will make a great bow! Craig

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:52:58 am »
Take the sapwood off and see what the heartwood looks like. You won't know what you have until you find the back of the bow.
  Most of wish we had an osage stave that has 15 years of curing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:22:42 am »
I've been using osage that is eleven years old. I have about 10 staves left. Some of it was checked pretty bad, but I just kept chasing another ring until it was gone. I have made three bows from it so far and they all have been sucessful

Jon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:40:38 am »
I have heard of 50+ year old Fence Posts of Osage being pulled up out of the Ground ... and worked down and made into Bows...the Stuff will last forever...Rot Resistant...Bug Resistant....and some very resilient wood for sure!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:11 am »
The older the better as far as I am concerned,it don't rot and if there is no bug damage you
have a fine piece of wood.My best bows have come out of older stuff.I often rough out a stave
and put it away several years before making a bow.Keep us updated on how it is going. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:05:29 am »
Looks like an exquisite piece of wood to me...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 10:35:39 am »
Nah!!!!! That wood is junk. But, you can send it to me, and I'll throw it in my fireplace.  ;) O:)

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:40 am »
     I made one from a bee keeepers sign post that they claimed was 100 years old. Invested with some kind of wood ant but didn't ruin the stave, wood acted just like any other. Steve

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:25 am »
Thanks for all the feedback, and the generous offers for waste removal  ;D.  This ones gonna have to cure a few more weeks anyway.  To paraphrase Richard Dreyfuss, "We're gonna need a bigger vise".
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

radius

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »
a few more weeks!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline woodstick

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:06:54 pm »
i got a goodun in the shop now that is 10 years old i got on a trade in great shape no sap wood on it allmost to 1 growth ring, just gota find time to work on it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken