Author Topic: Finish over which pen??  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Finish over which pen??
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
Well this is really ticking me off! I'm trying to figure out which finish to use over permanent sharpie writing and I have a hard time!
Yea I know I should just take the time out to test different combos, but I can't find that time it seems!
Anybody got a few good combos to try?
I've been using fine sharpies recently, but shellac made the ink blur until it set up. I'm afraid Tru-Oil will smear it. VArathane spray works OK, but not the best IMO.

I may resort to India Ink, dunno.
Just hate to spend days/weeks to build a bow and have the writing blob out in the final stages.
Suggestions?

Offline John K

Re: Finish over which pen??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »
I use India ink, i've tried the Sharpies, and true-oil will work, but after time the writing fades.

India ink only now !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
I agree with John. India ink! I usually spray poly down where I'm gonna write first and let it dry completely then ink the specs in. After the ink dries, lay a thin coat of Tru Oil over it and when it dried complete your finish.
  I use a quill pen from left over feathers or make a pen from a small piece of cane. You can buy cheap pens where you get the ink also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »
would it hurt the bow any to inscribe the info with a soldering iron?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »
I wouldn't do it on any working section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »
hey EA,
       I sign all my wooden fishing lures with a permanent sharpie. when the ink dries give it a "puff" coat of clear lacquer and a second one 20 min later. let it dry good (2-4 hrs) and you can put anything you want over that. By "puff" coat...I mean get back about 24" to 30" and hit the button one, real short, punch....like a quick fog only. The reason for lacquer is that a thin coat dries (bleeds off) so fast that the ink cant run....and most other finishes dont affect lacquer.
       These two puff coats will not seal the pores in the wood...but they will seal the ink.....you allready know know how it runs if ya don't. ......the India Ink is a good idea, or singing with a fine brush and acrylic artists paint which also will not run after it's dry. This is just a way for you get along with the "sharpies" if you want to use them.
       The other fellas had the right advice if you want "permanent"
half eye

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »
Thanks Folks. I like the India Ink idea, but it's abit more money than sharpies....but what's a few extra bucks on a 200.00 bow? ::)
PAt, how does the Turkey quill pen work for ya?
Would like to hear how that's made...I got LOTS of quills!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »
Quill pens work great. You can make it as fine  or broad as you want. Trying to describe how to make one would be confusing. Do a Google search for quill pens and see if you can find the info. I'm sure the will be plenty of info there.
  India ink is quite cheap and a small bottle will last a long time. It is available at wally world and other similar stores.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:11:42 pm »
You may find that some other inks, like sharpies, will fade over time as well because they use dyed solvents to get the color. India ink is pigmented ans will not fade because it leaves behind minute solid particles of in that were suspended in a liquid. Once the liquid evaporates, the pigment particles are left and won't bleed or fade.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »
I used to use a Sharpie but quit because of the fading and the Tru-Oil clogged the tip after a short time.

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:58 pm »
Do yourselves a favor and pickup any color GEL PEN - they work the best !!  ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:27:47 pm »
dito on the gels. I buy them in about any color one wants at art supply stores. I mostly use the silver on osage.As I dye alot of my bows, and when osage darkens the lettering will still show up.

orcbow

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:30 am »
I have used Minwax oil based polyurethane over sharpie marker with absolutly no problem. It makes a pretty good bow finish especially if you thin it 50-50 with mineral spirits and put on multiple coats.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:56:08 am »
I always wright on the unfinished wood the without rubbing put a light coat of Tru OIL over
it and let it dry ,then just go on like normal.I use a sharpie. I just kink of dob the first coat and not rub.I don't have any problems doing it like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:04 pm »
Well I opted to try the India ink or maybe acrylic based ink...I can get both here.