Author Topic: How to handle the winter time blues  (Read 13543 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: How to handle the winter time blues
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »
Thanks Pat I have a raised bed garden but its all-in-one, so you guys have multiple beds ???

Pictures please :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 02:03:18 pm »
Thanks Pat I have a raised bed garden but its all-in-one, so you guys have multiple beds ???

Pictures please :)

Picts as soon as the ice melts Dana. Can't even see the beds.
Found another way out of the winter time blues. Spent a couple of days at my fly tying bench. Wooly Buggers in 10,12 14's, Pheasant Tail nymphs, Rubber legged Copper Johns, and Squirmy Wormys. All in 16, 18's. Now I got to wait to fish them or go out to the river with my chain saw or my axe and rip or bust some holes in the ice.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:55 pm »
I'm with Dana I never heard the term double dug until now. Makes good sense though. I also like the idea Pat mentioned of separation so the soil doesn't get compacted.  Right now mine is just one big raised bed. I had to haul in the soil from work as the soil on my land is like a black silty sand. I live in a low area. We have had great results with our garden. For the soil the best mixture I know of is what we call 50/50 its 50% compost and 50% topsoil  then after that is spread we cover it heavily with a good 3" of peat moss and then bagged manure. Then just till it in deep until its nice and fluffy about 18" deep. Seems the fresh manure has to much nitrogen and makes big plants with little vegetables :) Better once it has composted that's why we get the bags.   You got me thinking now. The garden really does need new boards so I think i will make it all separate raised beds. I have access to white cedar logs for free which should make it at least a few seasons before they rot.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »
If you have fresh manure add it under the top layer of soil. As it composts it will create some heat that will aid germination and as the plants grow and the roots get longer they will benefit from the nitrogen, somewhat weakened by composting. Generally cow or horse manure isn't too hot if mixed with soil but usually contains weed seeds. Chicken manure is excellent but must be composted first or it will burn anything that touches it. Rabbit manure is as good as chicken but will not burn your plants.
  Look up the  "The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening"  by Rodale Press. I have had my copy since 1980. All the info is still pertinent and they have probably added lots more since then.
 My cloches are made with 2x4 fence wire. I cut it so I can fold it in half lengthwise to make a tent shape the length of the bed. It is the same size as the bed when folded. When temps drop I add clear plastic film to continue the growing season. I use the 2x4 wire so the rabbits don't get in.
  The best soil you can use is soil you make your self. Top soil usually has too many weed seeds so I stay away from it. A mixture of soil, manure, lime, leaf mold and other organic materials works best. A soil test is a good idea. Last year I didn't till my garden(also promotes weed growth) but dug a hole for each plant and mixed in 30 year old dried manure we got from an old cattle barn. Boy did those plants jump! ;D
  Weed seeds like from crabgrass can stay underground for 60 years or more. As soon as you turn the soil and the light hits them, they will germinate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »
I raise chickens for eggs and meat,so I have plenty of manure from them.I normally just use it sparingly with decent results.

How would be the best way for me to compost it?( I am a simple man so keep it so.) ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 05:54:47 pm »
Tim, Layer the chicken manure with lots of dried leaves, straw and similar high carbon items. Wet the pile and let it sit for a few days. Then mix it all up to add air and it will start to cook. Getting the right ratio of nitrogen and carbon is the secret. The pile will start steaming when it cooks. It can get to 140deg to 160 deg when it is really cooking. Aerate the pile every few days and in a month or less you will have good compost. You can tell when the temp drops. Finished compost doesn't stink either. Has a nice earthy smell.
Put a coil of copper tubing in the pile and hook your garden hose to it for a nice hot outdoor shower.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
 Here's mine so far. It's harvest time for the Mustard's.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Grunt

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:15 pm »
I look outside at my garden and all I see is ice and snow. Haven't seen the ground since before Christmas. You are a lucky man.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »
Nice Greens Eddie........everything here is dead...including the Boo.......boo-hoo.......... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 11:24:57 pm »
I went out today and took some pics of a bow...Was perty nice out, most of the snow was about gone....I went in the house for a cup o joe,came back out and this!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:28 pm »
Got another 2"n about an hour....Wait some more I guess? I did see that the local coop had seed spuds and onions already.

Grunt

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:27 am »
Got 6" more last night and I've got a 140 mile round trip to Asheville today. Roads should be ok when I get off the mountain. 

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:07 am »
I raise chickens for eggs and meat,so I have plenty of manure from them.I normally just use it sparingly with decent results.

How would be the best way for me to compost it?( I am a simple man so keep it so.) ;D

Timo, Are you familiar with the deep litter method of keeping chickens?  Basically you START with 6+ inches of pine shavings in your coop, and then stir everything up once or twice a week.  I also add a few handfuls of diatomatious earth (DE), it dries and keeps bug out.  Keep the manure from caking under the roost.  You add shavings and DE sparingly as needed.  The idea is if you have enough material, it stays dry and won't smell.  For even less work sprinkle a handful of scratch in the coop every day and the chickens will turn the bedding over for you.  Anyway, you only have to pull everything out once a year or so depending on how many birds you have, mine's been gong about 1.5 years.  It's about time for me. After you pull everything out add some carbon rich material if you need it (plant matter like hay, shavings, mulch, etc.) and then let it cook for 6 months to a year depending.  There are formulas for the ratio of manure to carbon, just look up manure composting, I'm sure you will learn more than you want.  BTW I cold compost my stuff since I'm not in a hurry, we get plenty of rain, and it's less work to just let it sit.  There are folks that go nuts with composting, run around with shovels, thermometers, and plastic sheeting (and more power to them).   I like simple and easy: Put in pile and then wait.  Make next years compost this year.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Timo

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »
I kinda let that happen on it's own,lots of straw down with the manure, and yes I throw some scratch with it. I've left them penned alot this winter due to snow cover,so it has been turned alot. Was thinking on building me a little area to pile it and let it work, just haven't come up with the right idea yet! ???

Someone recommended some snow fence columns,Pile it in with a little water, wait a couple weeks and then transfer to another column. What say ye? :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:02 am »
That will do it Tim.