Author Topic: Mesquite Bow?  (Read 25202 times)

Offline RabidApache

Mesquite Bow?
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
Hello everyone, newbie here from AZ. I just completed my first ever bow from Hickory. Specs are 66" pulls 57#@27" and it shoots like a dream. Its not purdy, but it kills. Period.
So my question is about Mesquite wood, has anyone ever tried working with this wood? Since I'm in Az, I have plenty to spare. How about Salt Cedar as a bow wood.
Your thoughts please, hunting season is over now. So now I wanna build bows and experiment. Thanxx

Lion hunting with my bow.
Forever making arrows!

Offline PeteC

Re: Mesquite Bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:48:53 pm »
Welcome RA,glad to have you.That's a fine lookin' hickory bow you've got there.And,yes,mesquite will build a good bow,it's just hard to find a straight piece that's long enough.Hope you can find some. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:37:34 pm »
Welcome to PA, RabidApache. The dry AZ climate is perfect for hickory bows. Hickory likes to be dryer than most other bow wood.   I have made good arrows with salt cedar.  Don't know about bows but give it a try and let us know.
  Show us a good full draw pic of your bow and OldBow will sign you up for Bow of the Month.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTProf

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:42:18 pm »
Rabid,

Looks great! The scenery is awesome, too. Is your hickory bow from a board or from a tree stave?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »
 Welcome brother of the bow.. I have used salt cedar for arrows for years.. tough wood.. I bet it would work great for a bow! great looking bow you built, look forward to seeing more... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
Good to have you aboard. Great looking bow. We have pignut hickory here in Ga. tough stuff. don't know about salt cedar.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 05:21:32 pm »
Thanxx guys.
I've heard of only one other prim.archer in AZ that has made a bow from salt cedar. He's an all-around outdoorsman, exceptional flint-knapper and bowyer.
Basically I'm new to the selfbow community, but not to the hunting community. I've hunted since I was 9yrs old. I started from firearms/shotgun to a Trad. bow, then to compound and finally to building my own. I get more satisfaction of just closing the distance to my quarry than the killing of a "trophy" nowadays. Antler size means less to me now then when I was just starting out.
Mesquite and Salt-cedar are very common to my area. I was just curious and wanted more info before the build.
I'll post pics/vid of my bow soon. Since the build, I have sparked a lil fire inside me and now I want to build more :D. Addicted if you will.

Forever making arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »
Welcome to our addiction. We all are. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »
Hello RabidApache,

That is a great picture you posted!  The bow looks great too.  Congratulations on it.  Sounds like you've got the bug and you've definitely found the right place to be.  It's a great crew of people - welcome!

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:35:05 pm »
Welcome aboard RA! Cool pic! First thing that popped into my mind when you mentioned mesquite was "Jackcrafty" out in Midland. He's made some good bows from it and I'm pretty sure he always sinew backs em. Hopefully he'll drift through here and share some wisdom..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »
Looks like a nice bow you have there, and nice country too.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
RabidApache,
Nice job on that bow man!  What part of Arizona are you in?  I'm in the Tucson area.  If you ever want to get together and shoot some bows or make some shavings let me know.  Welcome to the forum!!

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline tombo

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »
R-Apache- I've found Mesquite to split length-wise easily. Otherwise, it's a great wood. I think it could make a good bow. Better than mesquite is Huisache..if you have it up there. I'm in S. Texas.    Love that pic, man !
Tom

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:45:28 am »
Welcome aboard, think you will like it here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:02:10 am »
Welcome,cool pictures,love to see some close ups of the bow,sorry I don't know anything about
Mesquite. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good