Author Topic: Quit Smoking Support Group  (Read 19269 times)

DCM4

Re: Quit Smoking Support Group
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 10:22:03 am »
I'm not sure what another man says can really influence a man's battle with nicotine but I'm obliged to tell my story. 

I smoked from age 13 to 32.  Like Eric, cigarettes were easy to get in those days.  I had a little taste of money from working odd jobs and a bicycle, and had cigs on hand all time.  By the time I was 15 I was working full time nights and weekends and up to a pack a day.  I quit when my dotter was born.  Watching, literally, my dad die of cancer when I was 21, he was 57, forced my hand.  I knew if I smoked, I might as well put one in her mouth too.

So I taken up dipping Copenhagen.  Well I got me a city job, office building and white starched shirts and all that, and I think spitting and spit cups are generally as nasty as a dirty ashtray, and you know them suit and tie types frown on that stuff anyway, so I just swallered that tobacca juice.  13 years of that, a can lasted me nearly a week but I pretty much had a dip most of the time, and you'd be hard pressed to know it by looking at me. 

Well I was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 46, and I been up the crick and over the mountain with it the last 2 1/2 years.  They say there's no tests to show correlation, but that's a bunch of crap imho.  I swallered all that tar, I know know where it wound up, and then sat there doing it's nasty work 24/7.

Doctors won't say, can't say, how long I got to live othern he said I get to go fishing next June, when I asked him last Friday.  My chest lights up like a Christmas tree on the PET scans.  That's where colon cancer usually goes when it sets out for greener pastures.  Started back on chemo on Monday.  Honestly, I'll be happy if I see my kid graduate high school.

If you got a nicotine habit, and folks who care about you and or rely upon you, I hope my little saga makes the difference in your life.  Because the reaper's got your name on his list, and it's not a matter of whether, only when.  Trust me, unless you are a lot different than most, you are putting a debt on account you will not want to pay up when the time comes.

Offline RG

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 11:10:13 am »
PM sent Wade

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:47 am »
So sorry to hear that David, :( You will be in my thoughts and payers. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 11:58:39 am »
wow david. Man. dont know what to say. sorry man. Here's to pulling and prayin for you to get to graduation....
Ya your story helped me... a lot more than you prob know.

Kinda hits home tho for me. I (and I think most everyone) get so caught up in our own life's drama's and our own problems that I dont remember that there is always someone out there that has it worse.

I been thinking on that a lot lately. That I have been too self centered. Too damn whiny....

Here's to pullin for you, praying for you... and not whining about myself. (raises toast) Hope you have a killer fishin trip.

16 days for me tho. I got this one licked. no probs.... now I just gotta kick this nickorette habbit. Ha!.
wade 
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »
  I'm real sorry to hear that also, David. And like Wade, here's a toast to an awsome fishing trip next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »
David, you have a lot of courage and it is good to see you sharing with others right now. All these years on line you have always been one of my favorite people. I have a feeling you are going to beat this thing. Prayers comming your way as they have been. Steve

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:35 pm »
Mark the date and time.  4:51 eastern time, 6/30/2010.  My last cig just went out.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 02:28:18 pm »
Very sad to hear that news David. My apologies for not checking on you lately, I didn't know.

My brother-in-law quit smoking when he had his first heart attack, in his 50s I think, he smoked all of his adult life. He has had so many heart attacks now that I have lost count. He has had so may by-pass procedures that they can't do another.

He just found out he had prostate cancer and during the prostate cancer scans they found he had lung and stage four throat cancer as well.

Two thirds of my smoking friends have had serious health problems, both cancer and heart related. None of my non-smoking friends have had similar problems. We are all in our 60s now. Some of my smoking friends started having heart attacks in their 40s.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:54:37 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2010, 02:57:58 am »
Prayers sent David... been almost 6 weeks for me now... now i gotta work on quittin bacon grease...
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »
reached 30 days. cant go back now.... too much crap to get this far too many times.
lowest dose of the patch runs out today also... sht
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Badger

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »
Good goin N2, I had 4 days no smokes but could not sleep at night day 3 and 4 for some reason. had 2 smokes yesterday and 1 today. Most the guys at work smoke and it really tempts me for some reason. Not sure how long it takes for the physical addiction to leave. Guess I should look that up somewhere. Steve

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 12:16:02 am »
Wow, a lot of good inspiration on this thread. 

When I realized that the smokes companies really did want me addicted and they knew that their product was designed and honed to a razor edge to hook me I KNEW I was a quitter.  I have had lapses here and there, I still have a good cigar around a campfire or out catfishing.  If I have a half dozen stogies in a year it is unusual.  One of the things that has helped me is my AD/H...oooh, look, something shiney!  Where was I?  Oh yeah, short attention span thingy.  When the craving comes on strong (and it is over 10 years I think since I really quit) I know I am fine if I can make it 10 minutes.  Just 10 skinny little minutes are enough for the craving to pass. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »
well made it to 44 days without a chew....
but only 14 days with out any nicotine at all.
still jonzin occasionally but I know its all in my head now.

any one else wanna join me?
later
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 06:31:59 pm »
Congrats!!!! The hard part is over...  it gets easier.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
My brother-in-law was at the house talking about his cancer and when he quit smoking, I had the facts wrong in my above post.

He actually quit 34 years ago when he was 39 not in his 50s like I stated. Is his lung and throat cancer related to his smoking? No way to tell, but he thinks it is and his doctors tell him it is a possibility.