Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4720346 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19725 on: November 16, 2023, 04:53:02 pm »
the scouts putting to rest about 25 flage, they do this every time they come. one euro done and the second started, always a good fire. :) :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:08:01 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19726 on: November 16, 2023, 04:55:48 pm »
Made some venison jerky and Dave done some fine cooking, got Beau's head boiled and ready to clean/whiten and mount on  a board. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19727 on: November 16, 2023, 04:59:49 pm »
Chris killed a nice 90lb spike so at least some of them is taking meat home, I think their was 6 more shots taken so at least they had the chances, I told them all I could do my supply the opportunity .  ;) :) :) I also decide to finish the bear claw necklace, turned out pretty cool.

Pappy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 11:40:46 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19728 on: November 16, 2023, 05:02:55 pm »
Margaret Ann seen the bear necklace and wanted me to make her one from something, so I made her one from the center of a deer skull,then the last nigh we had a good fire and some more fine food, great couple of week, I know I really enjoyed it and think they all did also. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #19729 on: November 16, 2023, 11:24:56 pm »
I sure enjoyed myself Pappy.  Always fun to come down and hang out.  Plus this time was Chris and Shane there.  Missed Eddie and Tyler being there.  Looking forward to the next time down there.  Twin Oaks is a special place for sure.

David

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19730 on: November 17, 2023, 04:55:46 am »
Thanks for sharing Pappy - like seein' the Scouts.  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19731 on: November 17, 2023, 09:17:13 am »
Ya Bob I enjoy having them , great bunch of boys and their leaders keep them very well under control. ;) Dave can't wait till we can do it again.I am headed back for a couple of days, we have a club meeting Saturday at noon and working to blow leaves and get everything ready for winter. Be good to see the guys and what work that needs to be done around there out of the way. Hope yall have a good one also.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #19732 on: November 17, 2023, 09:54:49 pm »
Pappy
As always thank you for taking the time to post what’s happening down at your place. I enjoy reading and seeing your posts and pictures.
Take care, Brian

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #19733 on: November 19, 2023, 12:47:18 am »
One of these days I will make it there!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19734 on: November 19, 2023, 07:39:05 pm »
Thanks Brian, Ben you know you are always welcome. Very good weekend, pretty laid back, got a few things done in the shop, hunted some and had a good meeting and working Saturday. We got everything ready for winter i think  :-\ Here is a few pictures. Margaret Ann wanted a bear claw necklace, she liked the other one I made her from the deer skull but said with them pretty little eyes she really wanted one with bear claws, I just happened to have a few so of course I had to make what she wanted , funny how that works, ??? she ask and I just have to go at it.  ;) :) :) got all the leaves blown and burnt and all the gutters cleaned, some of the guys told me their was a burning band when they seen me burning, I said where did you hear that, they said it is all over TV and news, I just laughed and said I don't watch much TV and especially the news, ;) :) :) any way had no problems and got it done without burning down the farm.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19735 on: November 19, 2023, 07:44:03 pm »
Got the jerky done, about 4 lbs and is really tasty. Got my latest yew bow floor tillered/on and off the form and to brace.Looking good and felt good to be scraping wood again even if it was yew. ;) :) Also got Beau's bear head out of the freezer and thawed, ready to skin and euro mount.Can't wait to get the skin off and see what it looks like, plan on doing something with the skin just not sure what yet, maybe a hat. :-\ :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19736 on: November 19, 2023, 08:10:37 pm »
Also got the bear hide out and thawed, long story on the hide but wished I had done a better job skinning it, we were 3 1/2 miles in at 11,000 feet in tough terrain and wasn't planning on keeping the hide, we were planning on keeping the head but our main concern was getting the meat out and wanted to do it in one trip out. well when went to check it in 2 days later they told us we didn't have to bring the meat out but had to bring head and hide, NOW that make no sense to me , meat way more important to us than the hide,dumb law in my opinion but never the less it is the law, ??? we should have read the regs better so our fault for sure, :o We knew we had to bring the head but missed the part about the hide. ;) :) anyway they said they couldn't check it in without the hide, so now 40 miles from camp on our way to Tennessee we had to go back to camp, change cloth , get our pack and hike back in and get the hide, 7 mile round trip on a tough trail, the good news is it hadn't been bothered and didn't even stink,we finished the skinning and packed it out in record time, got back to the check station at 4:30 and they close at 5 , if we hadn't of made it by 5 we would have had to stay another day and our camp was in the trailer packed up,wouldn't be the first time I spent the night in a truck I guess, anyway all was good , just if we had known we had to bring it out anyway I would have done a lot better job skinning to tan and save. It's ok but I got a little rough with in in spots, lesson learned, guess that's what memories are made of. ;) :)I will look it over good and see how it goes. I did lay it out and measure it and it prefect 6 foot square , so it was a big bear, and would have made a beautiful rug. The lady at the check station said it was the biggest they had checked in 2 years and was between 7 and 10 from checking his teeth, big bear for that part of the country for sure. That's it for the weekend , hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19737 on: November 23, 2023, 07:07:04 am »
Headed to the wood for my annual Thanksgiving morning hunt then home for Turkey and fixings along with fellowship with the family.Hope yall have a good one also. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19738 on: November 23, 2023, 01:07:40 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family, Pappy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19739 on: November 26, 2023, 07:50:27 pm »
Thanks Pat, hope you had a good one also. Had a great weekend, lots of friends and some good hunting, had a couple of really close encounters but as it goes with bow hunting no shots taken, did have my 4 point at 15 yards so I know he is still around but just wouldn't get righ for the shot, maybe next time, Miss Joanie said it just wasn't his time to go. ;) :) Got my wing bone call finished and it works great, can't wait to give it a try this coming Turkey season, also made some head way on the 2 Turkey handle knives I am making for Dave. Got both handle fitted and 1 blade ready to heat treat and temper, hope to get the 2nd blade ready in a few day or when I get into the knife making mood again.  :-\ ;) :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 08:13:05 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good