Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4718718 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Life is good
« Reply #16485 on: March 05, 2019, 05:31:26 am »
Whoever fleshes Gator for boots and wallets are some tough SOB's. That stuff is like trying to scrape the leather off a basketball, Jeez.

Looks good when done but wholly mackerel! I take a beaver any day. Stuff looks good though. Lots of work to be sure.

Shawn~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BrianS

« Reply #16486 on: March 05, 2019, 06:48:59 am »
Pappy,
Gotta love those big old trees! There is a formula for estimating a trees age based on the size around at the base and the species of tree. I will see if I can find it.
Thanks for posting the pictures every week.
brian

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16487 on: March 05, 2019, 07:25:14 am »
Dang Pappy , what ya gonna do with all that elec. money you will be saving from emptying all them freezers, I like how ya used duck tape labels , most of my stuff is wonder what that bag is? I think I'm down to 2 salted deer hides and then everything will be at least rawhide stage. Sewing and softing one today and burning lots of wood, 5 deg this morning but at least the sun is shinin. Starting to hear lots of bird noise in mornings, Spring is a comin. Bob

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #16488 on: March 05, 2019, 04:19:13 pm »
looks like a busy but fun weekend,
you have really been bitten by the knife bug.
addicting isn't it?
ifn ya got any questions please feel free to pm me.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16489 on: March 06, 2019, 04:48:00 am »
Shawn, pappy, the easy way to flesh the gator hides is lay them out on some concrete and pressure wash the meat off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16490 on: March 06, 2019, 05:38:26 am »
Thanks Brian I will give that a try, love to know how old it is. Bob that is my gold is to at least get them all into rawhide, not going to tan anymore until that is done, down to 2 now, hope to get them on the rack by the weekend. Yes Kevin it is a lot of fun watching one come into it's own, thanks for the advice you have given me already and when I get the real forge going I am sure I will have more questions. Eddie if I only had one,  ??? I thought about that and am sure that would be much easier. Headed over in a little while but first have to wait till my baby gets here so I can get some hugs and kisses, Margaret Ann Wednesday ya know. :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16491 on: March 07, 2019, 04:42:33 am »
To some of you that have been coming to the Classic for years , this is Sweet Pee with Sally [then] and now just joined the Navy, Joe York made her a nice quiver in pink with Sweet pee on it, she still carries it now.she has been it the club since she was barley walking and now look at her. We are so proud of how she has turned out. Beautiful young lady that I just love to death. Man they grow up fast.
 Pappy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:50:53 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16492 on: March 07, 2019, 05:05:19 am »
Congrats to Sweetpea. Good for her.
 It's been fun watching her grow up over the years and yes, they do grow up fast.
Bon voyage, Sweetpea.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16493 on: March 08, 2019, 05:54:01 am »
I will tell her you sent Congrats Pat. Friday and headed to the cabin in a bit, got lots to do, we have our first shoot next Saturday and Sunday so we plan on more clean up and setting ranges tomorrow before the heavy rain starts again. Supposed to be pretty next weekend, we can only hope. :-\ I do have a couple of things to get done myself, last 2 hides for the year to flesh and rack and need to temper my latest knife blade.
Other than that just hanging out and fellowship with by buddies, should be a good weekend. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16494 on: March 11, 2019, 04:47:55 am »
Great weekend, lot of rain Saturday but we managed to get the ranges all set up for our up coming shoot this coming weekend, weather looks like it is going to be dry and a little colder but I will take the cold over wet any day. Hope some of yall can make it out. I got to spend some time in the shop on my hide and knife work, also a few others working on some projects. Here are a few pictures of the fun. Some skins finished up, another deer hide hair taken off and Shawn's hog back strip ready to do something with, it turned out way better than I thought it would. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16495 on: March 11, 2019, 04:50:34 am »
1 more hide with hair off and one fleshed and ready to rack. Knife blade ready to heat treat and some Shawn's bow on the form to flip the tips a bit. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16496 on: March 11, 2019, 04:53:51 am »
2 more hides ready for the rack [last 2 for the year] ;) Nice fire , ready to heat treat blade, I used the oil Kevin recommended for this one, worked well.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16497 on: March 11, 2019, 04:56:12 am »
Blade ready for clean up and vinegar,  and Little John working on a cigar box guitar.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16498 on: March 11, 2019, 04:58:01 am »
After the vinegar dip, handle glued up,  just waiting for glue to dry and some hanging out by the fire. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16499 on: March 11, 2019, 05:01:41 am »
The girls warming up a bit in their favorite spot. First shed of the year, I found in the first bottom across the creek. Arrows for Classic trophy's ready for wrapping and putting on the plaques. Knife dry and ready to finish handle. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good