Author Topic: Elm Bow - #2 Complete  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Diligence

Re: Elm Bow - #2 Underway
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 02:20:32 am »
Okay, I think I'm done....sort of.

Piked it to 66" NtN....works out to be just shy of 50# at 26".  Heat treating and piking did the trick to boost the draw.

Still looks a bit stiff in the left (top) limb, but when I eyeball it in the shop, it sure does look even.

That top limb does have some twist and natural reflex (starting right at the top of the fade area) to it, could that be what is making it seem stiffer?  Is this just an optical illusion, or do I really have to take a few more swipes with the scraper?

...and if I do hit it with the scraper, should I hit it between the fade and the stiff area, or right at the stiff area?

Thanks again so much for helping us newbie's out.  I can hardly wait to shoot this baby at the "$2000 club"...with all the "serious" wheelie guys....

J

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:57 am »
Shoot the Crap out of it...thats about perfect tiller....get out and enjoy it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Diligence

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:42:55 am »
YIPPEE!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Good news  :-* :-*  (those are "manly-man" kisses...lol)

In all seriousness, I'm very thankful for your help El-D.

I've found that pretty much everybody I have ever met, in regards to primitive skills, are just the nicest kind of people ----and PA has proven this over and over again.

Thanks,
Jaye
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Elm Bow - #2 Complete
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 04:06:42 pm »
Glad I could help...but remember...don't depend on that Ellipse...just use it as a Tool....you still have to get an Eye for it...to be able to stand back and visualize where the Wood needs to bend...and not bend...then maybe check it with this...and see how close you were....I think it turned out well...and the next one will be totally different...and you will learn even more...good luck
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ken S

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »
great teamwork guys diligence i would love to se pics after shot in & finish work

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 12:51:44 am »
great teamwork guys diligence i would love to se pics after shot in & finish work
Looks a great candidate for March Self Bow of the Month. You might take another full draw without the workbench background.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 06:07:05 am »
Nice job,well done. :) Can't wait to see it all finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:42 am »
Grats on getting this one looking better.

I had a had time seeing this bow bend, way to much going on behind it. A simple fix would be to get you a sheet or a big piece of cardboard to put up over all the hand tools,It will help you see the bow bend a lot easier.

Nice job!

Offline Diligence

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:47 pm »
Thanks guys....this was fun.  As I told somebody else, when I get focused on making something, it's almost as if I have OCD.

I'll get a full draw picture up for review along with shots of the finished bow after I shoot it in.  Would like to exercise it a bit before i get too carried away with finish treatments.

As for making it easier next time, I'm already looking to see where I can hang a tillering rack.....on blank wall so that it's a bit clearer.

Cheers,
J