Author Topic: Mollegabet I experiment  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Frode

Mollegabet I experiment
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:19:42 pm »
Well, here's an experiment (with a tip of the hat to radius, half eye, and adb, thanks for the buildalongs) that I just finished up today.
60" tip to tip, 59" ntn, red oak, linen backed.  27#@24 (39#@28)
TIP: Don't go out and shovel six inches of wet "heart attack" snow off the drive, cool off, then come back and judge weight purely by feel!  :-[  This started out around 40#, but by the time I got it smoothed out... :o  What's worse, when I was working it, it felt right, but when I strung my other red oak (41@24") I could barely pull it!  Chalk it up to experience.
The handle is a little light, ever so slightly bendy, but it was a board scrap I had, and it's a comfortable size.  I probably didn't have to back it, but the board looked just a little less than picture perfect, so...
As always, your experience and observations are most welcome!
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

half eye

Re: Mollegabet I experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:36:16 pm »
Frode,
      That is a very fine looking Mollegabet bud! One thing about them that might surprise you is their cast and the fact they are very "different arrow" tolerant. Your probly snowed in, but if you have a field and flight shoot that bugger I know for a fact it will really suprise ya! Draw weight not withstanding.
half eye

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »
Thank you Rich!  Actually, I just came back upstairs from shooting six.  The Underground Lair only has a 12-13 yard shooting range, but this bow has a very satisfying snap to it.  It doesn't seem to have a lot of hand shock.  I can hardly wait to get it out and really let it loose!  ;D
Frode

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:38:15 am »
Great bow and perfect tiller for this style. I love how everyone is taking off with these bows. If anything it looks like you could still take some mass off of those stiff tips but it looks great anyways. Great job!   :)

radius

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 06:46:19 am »
i like it, too, Frode.  However i will say it looks like it could bend more coming out of the fades.  Also, oak is a strong wood:  you could reduce the levers somewhat while maintaining their lever action.   But as i said, i like it.

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:19 am »
Thank you ryoon and radius!
ryoon, I almost took those tips down several times, but being of the "easy to remove, hard to put back" persuasion (and a little chicken  ;D) I stayed my hand.  I want to see how it shoots, then I'll take them down and compare the feel. Thanks!
radius, I've noticed I tend to leave the fades heavy at the beginning of each bow I've made so far.  Fear of sudden loud noises?  :D  Thanks!
Frode

radius

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:02:11 am »
frode, these bows want to bend at the center, and i've found that we need to coax the force of the bend away, and so i tend to do a lot of initial work at the fades...but hey, if it shoots, you scored...i still like it

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
Nice bow, looks good.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »
Thanks Hrothgar!

Offline jwillis

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:46 pm »
Thats a really nice looking bow. Great job. Jim

Offline Frode

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:25:01 pm »
Thank you Jim!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
 (with a tip of the hat to radius, half eye, and adb, thanks for the buildalongs)

See why you guys who raise the bar help each other. Nice job, Frode, and bookmarked, too
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »
Thanks Oldbow!

Offline Frode

Re: Mollegabet I experiment-Shooting report
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »
I just got a chance to shoot this bow last night, and even at it's light draw, it was about as fast as the stronger horse bows (which seems to be the popular thing in this group), and very quiet.  I need to work on keeping my tillered weights where I want them, but that just means I get to make more bows  :D
Frode

half eye

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »
Frode,
      Sneaky fast little pot lickers....aint they? Nice Bow bud !!!!!
half eye