Author Topic: String strand count question  (Read 8189 times)

Offline Easternarcher

String strand count question
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:22:46 am »
Good Morning Folks!

Looking for a concenus here on number of strands of B50 for a 55lb longbow? First 55 pounder I've made and not sure of string count.

Any suggestions for best performance from an R/D???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String strand count question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:42:45 am »
I use 14 strands of B-50 for bows over 50# and 12 strands for anything under. I haven't make bows over 60# or so
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:22:39 am »
I use 14 strands of B-50 for bows over 50# and 12 strands for anything under. I haven't make bows over 60# or so

I was planing on 3 ply so if I did 3 plys of 5 ea. I'd be good to go then...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:47:26 pm »
You'll be fine with that. Others may suggest fewer strands but I would rather have the extra insurance. I've never had a string break. (bite my tongue) ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:04:31 pm »
                       I build all of my Bows around 50-55 pounds...and make all of My Strings 14 strand 2 Ply.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:16:21 pm »
I use 15 strands whether 2 or 3 ply for 50# and over.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:04:18 pm »
Regardless of the overall number of strands, I always use 3 skeins/plies of strands.  I find that 2 skeins give an odd shaped string section which needs more twists to make it round, when compared to 3 skeins.  If making spiral coloured strings, I use two skeins of the lighter colour, and one of the darker colour.  My favourite combo is yellow with black  :)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:49 pm »
I always use 14-strand two-plies for about everything. Oddly, I have made many three-ply and two ply strings, and have come to prefer the two-plies myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:15:20 pm »
I always use 14-strand two-plies for about everything. Oddly, I have made many three-ply and two ply strings, and have come to prefer the two-plies myself.

I must Concur........... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »
Do you guys like the 2 ply bundles because they are easier to make ? I thought the reasoning behind the 3 ply was that they made a rounder string ? I will have to try a 3 ply and decide myself -just wondering what your thoughts were are both .  8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 07:55:39 pm »
I prefer 3 ply for the reason stated by bobnewboy, I also try and use 3 different colours. My B50's are made with white, brown and green and I think they look good.

Craig.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »
i use 2 ply 15 strands i aint got the 3 ply down to my satisfaction yet. black and red looks good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »
Wow, I must be under building my strings. I use 12 strands of B-50 2 ply on everything under 60#. Never had a problem... yet!
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 11:09:14 pm »
20 - 30lbs. -  8 strands
30 - 35lbs. - 10 strands
35 - 45lbs. - 12 strands
45 - 55lbs. - 14 strands
55 - 80lbs. - 16 strands
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:55:32 am »
Another thing I've started doing is following a suggestion by Marc St Louis in an old copy of PA (I bought the whole back catalogue!  ;D)

He suggested that when making a single-ended string (i.e one with only one laid-in loop), that the 'open' end could be plaited.  I have done this a few times now, when I'm unsure of the correct string length (we all have that moment...), plaiting-in the last 4-6 inches of the string.  This makes for a flat piece of bowstring at the other bow nock, and for me this seems to slip less when tied into a bowyer's knot/hitch than the round section of the rest of the string, even when waxed.  An example of this can be seen in my build-along:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14045.30.html
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719