Author Topic: Bois De Fer  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Parnell

Bois De Fer
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »
Otherwise known as Australian Pine in the Casuarina family.  I've been spying around to find one to cut and gave it ago this evening in the pouring rain.  It was great! 

I hope this stuff turns out great because I've hit the jackpot on where to find it.  Not that it's difficult in these parts.
Apparently, this stuff is very dense.  I've read online of anywhere from .8 to 1.2 in specific gravity.  I think it will come in around .9

This stave is straight and about 8 feet long.  Tomorrow I'll get the chain saw to clean up the split end.  It should be a clean 6'.  I'll try to split it tomorrow as well.  Also, I took a few saplings to dry out and see if they make for good arrow material.
I'm going to leave the bark on and let it season.  I'm thinking I may get a thicker sapling and try a D bow from it after it dries for a month or two.  If I put it in the car down here it should dry out pretty quickly.

This wood has a slew of names but the one in the subject I couldn't pass up for obvious reasons.  Would that it could be Osage...   Apparently, this stuff has an outrageously high amount of thermal capacity when burning.  I've been reading that it could arguably be the worlds best firewood.

Anyway, here are pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Bois De Fer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »
It is very dense. I measured the density if a piece years ago. I just on;t remember what it was but it was denser than osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:46 pm »
I cut it this evening with a folding pruning saw.  That was my workout for the day...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:39:55 pm »
Well it split.  A bit of twist, though.  This was my first stave split, green wood, and it was pretty dense stuff.  I made wood wedges out of a hickory board end I had left - they worked great.

1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:38:27 pm »
 I saw a couple of bows made out of it. They were pyramid style about 2" wide at the fades.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »
Pine huh who'd a thunk it.... ::) Good luck on your adventure, let us know how it comes out.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »
Ryano,

No Casuarina is not a pine, I am not sure which of the two species grown in the US Parnell has it is either Casuarina cunninghamiana known to us in Australia as River Oak or River Sheoak, or Casuarina equisetifolia generally known as She-Oak.

Craig.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:36 pm »
If it doesn't pan out for making bows, it is frequently used with other woodworking, turning especially. If you find any that has especially large axillary rays it could be lace figured sheoak which is quite sought after.

If you cut some more and want to get rid of some chunks too small for making bows, let me know.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:45 am »
I think it does jthompson, however, I don't have any others I've cut for comparison.  Tell you what, I'll remove some of the bark from the cut off ends and try to post a picture.  Let me know what you think.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:29 pm »
A picture with some bark peeled off.  I assume this is what you mean by axial lines?

1’—>1’

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:07:46 pm »
Yep, that's them, like the rays in oak on steroids. If you were to quartersaw the wood, you'd see the rays like you do in oak. If there were about 5 times as many you would have lace sheoak. Looks like a good bit of twist to that piece.

That piece looks like its got a small vase or bowl inside. (Can you tell another of my addictions is woodturning?)
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
I brought this down to closer to dimensions today.  It's 67" long and 2" wide.  It's mostly dry but needs more time.  The bark just peeled off in one big long piece.  That's nice.  The axillary rays that you'll see is what I'm wondering about.  What are people's thoughts?  I could scrape the back down and sand it to try to completely get rid of them or I could look to back the bow with say silk and just leave them as is.  This wood is so tough and these rays seem so interwoven that I'm stronly questioning that they'll let go if backed.  But what do I know?

What do yall think??? ???

1’—>1’

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:12 pm »
Unless they ran close to or off the limb, I don't see why you couldn't jsut leave them. But backing it with silk would be a nice insurance- as well as a way to cover them and protect them from the weather. Just my thoughts though.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »
I don't think you'll be able to scrape past the axillary rays in that. From what I've heard Bois de fer, AKA sheoak, is a very hard, durable wood so you should be OK not backing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:29 pm »
I would not Sweat them at all...but if it would make you feel better....Silk or thin Deer Rawhide would do great....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome