Author Topic: Reflex Defined Please  (Read 1276 times)

PeteDavis

Reflex Defined Please
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »

I am reading Dean Torges excellent self bow book. He talks of reflexing the staves to pull the handle inward toward to shooter to get ahead of eventual string follow. I think I have that part right.

Could someone please explain the concept in simple terms. I plan to glue up a locust and hickory lam bow, and I want to use a form to set the handle inward but otherwise retain a "D" profile.

What is really gained by adding an inch or two of reflex? Does this translate to cast, speed or both?

Thanks in advance-PD

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Reflex Defined Please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »
I define reflex as the tips being ahead of the handle when viewing the back (part that faces the target) of the bow.  I have noticed that with my bows the ones that retain the reflex seem to shoot faster than my bows that have string follow. Good luck on your bow!  Post pics of your progress and/or finished bow!  :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »
The tips of the bow don't nesasarily need to be in front of the handle for a bow to be reflexed.
Reflex is basically any part of the limbs or handle of the bow bent away from the string when unbraced.
What Josh is describing is what I would call net reflex.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »
yeah.. I like Ryans explanation alot better...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:53 pm »
All else being equal, the more a bow's limbs are reflexed, the more energy it will store and impart to the arrow.