Author Topic: Skinning question  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Skinning question
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
I relocated yet another raccoon away from the chicken coop and to the bottom of one of my gator holes.  I decided that he should donate his fur coat before he left.  Instead of my normal split down the belly and appendages skinning, I tried to case skin for the first time.  I have always not bothered with the head.  All went well except I haven't figured out how to get the cartilage out of the ears.  I got most of the way up to the tips on the back side, but just could not get any further.  I finally gave up and just severed the whole ear from the skull.  So what is the trick, or is it just left in? Thanks

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline DanaM

Re: Skinning question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »
I hear ya swamp I just tanned a fox and I had the same problem, I managed to get the outside of the ear only >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:26 pm »
You leave the whole ear on when skinning, just cut through it at meat level. If you're stretching the hide to sell, that's all you need to do to it. If it's being tanned or mounted, you need to get the cartilage out, which is a lot easier to do after it's skinned. You basically turn the ear inside out. Taxidermists use a special tool that looks like a smalll shoe stretcher on deer and bigger critters to pop the skin loose from the cartilage. You can use the end of an old spoon handle or something similar on smaller critters.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:40 am »
Dana, your post made me think about casing the coon to start with.  I have a steady supply  ::), and if I screw a few up it's not a big deal.  Thanks

Hillbilly, thanks, I will work it some more when I rehydrate the skin to tan it.  Oh, same thing with the nose, probably about a 1/4" left in there, but I think the tanning solution will penetrate it (?).  I can always use a syringe to get tan in there I guess.

Thanks guys,

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:41:57 pm »
This tanning stuff sounds pretty interesting.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:18:19 am »
a very fine pairing knife works well to remove the cartilidge. the nose is harder than the ears but you should still go after what ever is in there. that stuff will start to stink up the place.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct