Author Topic: Durability and longevity of bb bows  (Read 5390 times)

Offline oneeye

Durability and longevity of bb bows
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:13:48 pm »
  Gave a guy a 62" bbyew d/r about 7 years ago, 3 years later it lifted a small bamboo splinter on the back next to a node. I told him to bring it back and I would repair it. Long story short he glued it back and wrapped it with duct tape. personally i would have wrapped it with sinew and called it good. Needless to say he took the tape off it last month and shot it for a while thinking everythings fine well it finally it blew up.
  Now this guy shoots every night consistently a minimum of 40 or so arrows, so we're talking about 10,000 shots per year conservatively out of this bow.  70,000 in its lifetime.
  What kind of shot average are the rest of you guys getting out of your bows?   Scott

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Durability and longevity of bb bows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »
When I made my first Boo backed Osage it was 4 months before the hunt. I shot between 100 and  200 shots a day for 4 months. That is over 15000 arrows in four months. The bow held up great, but I started loosing feeling in my fingers. I still shoot that bow once in a while.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline oneeye

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »
How often do you get boo splinters lifting ?  I very lightly scrap the rind off.  Scott

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:42:33 pm »
That one was scraped and sanded down a long way. It lifted a splinter part way through the hunt, but I was hauling it around on a four wheeler beating it up.  I super glued it back down, wrapped it with sinew and went back to hunting. I quit scraping so far and I haven't had a splinter since.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:19 pm »
Not sure how long they last. I have not had one that made it to a finished bow fail me yet "knock on bamboo :)". I shoot mine often but couldnt tell you how many shots. All I can say is that even if I knew they only lasted an average of x amount of shots it would still be worth it for the years of use I get out of one.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »
As tough as bamboo is it can be pretty delicate too. The way it is handled can make or break one...but that goes for any wood bow.
  He should have left the duct tape on it!  ;D  Red Green would be proud! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »
Scraping doesn't seem to be good for boo. Light sanding with fine paper isn't as likely to leave those little scraper marks that can cause problems down the road.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »
 I quit scraping Bamboo a couple of years ago. The only boo I've had splinter was because of over heat treating the back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:53 am »
I quit using bamboo period.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:49:59 am »
Like any other kind of bow, I've seen them last indefinetly and I've seen them blow to pieces for seemingly no reason after a couple hundred shots.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:34 pm »
Because of problems or you just dont like it?  Do you scrape the rind?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:40:55 pm »
i think 70,000 arrows is asking plenty from an all wood bow.  10,000 would have made me happy.  i've had one bow to lift a splinter and that was my first bbo and it was my fault for sanding the nodes down too much.  i've left them proud every since and have never had another problem.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »
Because of problems or you just dont like it?  Do you scrape the rind?
Well... many reasons I guess. It's very dry where I live, especially in the winter, and ALL my bamboo backed bows have checked. Regardless of what finish I've used. Doesn't cause any problems, but some of my customers have freaked seeing their "broken" bows.
Bamboo is labour intensive as a backing. Cutting and planing and sanding something round to make it flat is a headche. Hickory, maple, ash, etc., is so much easier and more consistent. Bamboo's nodes give me fits... trying to match spacing, they're weak, etc. Scraping, no scraping... some of my bamboo backed bows (as Gordon will attest) just fail for no apparent reason. VERY frustrating after many hours of work. All this adds up to me looking elsewhere for backing material. As probably 80% of the bows I make are backed, I wanted a much more user friendly material.
All that being said, if you can make it happen with no problems, a bamboo backed osage bow is probably the sweetest and fastest bow you'll ever make.
Funny thing too... the only bow I've won BOM with was (you guessed it) a bbi. Go figure!! :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:02:39 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 06:14:09 pm »
Prime example for me... BBI, 50#@28", rigid handle. I don't think I could improve the tiller much. This bow failed early in it's career, lifting a splinter requiring a replacement for the customer. Frustrating for everyone.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »
that is a beautiful tiller on that bow.  :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln