Author Topic: repair question  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Frode

repair question
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:39:31 pm »
Hi all,
I have an archer acquaintance who asked if a wooden bow she has is repairable or not.  I told her I would confer with the Wise Ones and see what they said.  It is a small bow, can't be more than 60" total, very thin, appears to have some age on it.  The wood looks like oak  ???, and the bow hasn't been shot for a couple of years.  The owner is petite, and shoots a very light bow, target only, and this one doesn't feel like it goes much over 20-25#.  Over all it looks to be in fairly good shape, except for the handle area, and the finish.
What do you think?  Salvageable?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: repair question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
It looks like a glue joint gave way but the wood is still intact. I don't think that should affect the performance of the bow too much, especially with a light bow.

I think you could fold a piece of sandpaper in half and sand the inside of the joint, then squeeze in some TB III, clamp it and let it sit overnight. Make sure you don't clamp too tight and clean up the squeeze out unless you want to refinish the whole bow. You may want to wrap that area with sinew to give some extra reinforcement.

You could also remove the leather wrap and see if you can get the whole handle off in one piece.  This way you could sand both pieces better to get a better wood surface to glue back together. You risk ruining the bow, though if  it doesn't split along the existing joint cleanly.

Others here with more experience may have differing opinions.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:02:36 pm »
Frode...just strip off all of the Old Finish...clean all the Old Glue from the Joint...Sand both areas to ensure that they are Clean and Mate well together... ::).... then apply some Titebond 2 or 3 to the Joint...and clamp immediately....if you are short on Clamps...make sure that the Center is clamped down well...but not too tight....and the Grip is where it needs to be...and then you can wrap the rest with Inner Tube or any other strong Stretchy Material...then make a New Grip and refinish it...She will be proud to own it once more....JMO
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:11:40 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »
 If you want to fix it quick and easy, just shoot some Loctite super glue into the joint and clamp it. It will be ready to shoot as soon as the glue sets up. I've done it dozens of times.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:49 pm »
There You go.......take Yer Pick........... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »
Thanks guys!
Frode

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:09:48 am »
If this bow hasn't been shot in a while you should reeducate it to bend, starting gingerly and working slowly up to full draw.
  Does the bow have any markings on it. If not visible maybe under the handle wrap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frode

Re: repair question...More Info
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:03:19 pm »
Hi all,
I have the bow in question now, and see some things I hadn't noticed at the event.  First, quite a lot of set (see the first picture, the bow is unstrung).  Second, what looks like compression fractures on the belly, near the grip.  At first I thought they might be scratches in the finish, of which there are many, but after a few passes with the scraper they are still very visible.  To scrape down past them would mean taking off a lot of wood, especially for a bow this small in cross section (3/4" max). The riser did pop off fairly easily and looks like it could be repaired/replaced without too much trouble, but I wonder if this bow would be better cleaned and finished and hung up on display (by the way, it isn't a family heirloom, just purchased at a sale about 10 years ago, and was probably a child's bow).
I'm not sure I'd want to see this bow in action again but what do you think?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »
WALL HANGER!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:05:37 am »
Yep ,altho I ant much on wall hangers[man needs fire also]  ;) :) since it is an old bow I guess that's what I would do with it. :) Don't think it would hold up shooting it much. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:26 am »
Yep, it's chrysalled. Looks like locust to me, maybe. You might get some more shooting out of it if it's lightweight, but it would be about as easy to just make another one. Looks like someone may have left it strung for a long period of time.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »
I've restored many old bows, but that one definately looks beyond saving. It's not worth the effort, IMO.

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation, everyone!  I've conveyed the diagnosis to the owner and am waiting for her response.
Frode