Author Topic: My TN Classic project BOOM!!!  (Read 20562 times)

Offline FlintWalker

My TN Classic project BOOM!!!
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:17 pm »
Can't decide whether to splice these or make a take down.  Anyway, I hope to get her going pretty soon  and try to get it finished up by the Classic.  If it holds up I've got a set of MONSTER copperheads waiting for it.
  I cut these 1 year ago and they've been roughed out ever since and stored in my house.  I think it's about time I did something with them...especially since I haven't made a bow in almost a year. :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:37:17 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: My TN Classic project
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
Those are gonna make one cool bow. Can't wait to see it. Oh Hows the weather down your way?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:36 pm »
 I remember those.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
Now those are pretty sweet. Let's get on with it..... ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:04:25 pm »
Those are gonna make one cool bow. Can't wait to see it. Oh Hows the weather down your way?
Cold and white! :D
 Yea Eddie, they've been here before.  I've cleaned them up, chased a ring and narrowed them up a little since you saw them last.
 I plan to take them down to Pappys weekend after next and see if I can get GregB to help me splice them. My saw's not good enough for the task and I'm not either.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:08:35 pm »
Holy Moly Shannon dem are nice :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
It looks like an awesome project to me. I think I would go for the takedown. It is a lot easier to haul around and baby it so the bow/snakeskins don't get damaged.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »
She'll look just like a snake after those skins go on, good luck with your project.  I just posted an ERC from wood that I got from you last year at the classic. Thanks again.
VB

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »
dang Shannon... tell me the month you are planning on posting that beauty so I can not even bother making a bow to compete for the BOM that month... I gotta disagree about the takedown sleeve making it easier to protect the finish on your bow.   I just made a takedown and whenever I break it down the limbs are always banging into each other causing more scuffs than any of my full length bows.  JMO....   It WOULD make a great takedown though...   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:52:42 pm »
It's not a bow just yet.  Still lots to do before then.  As much as I'd love a bow from this wood I almost have the feeling it's too good to be true.   
We'll see...

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:19:03 pm »
Shannon, whatever you decide to do with 'em they're definitely gonna be sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »
It's not a bow just yet.  Still lots to do before then.  As much as I'd love a bow from this wood I almost have the feeling it's too good to be true.   
We'll see...

Well dang Shannon, if'n you're scared of the  billets i will gladly take them off yer hands just so you don't have to worry anymore...  >:D   ;D

just kidding.  If you only put HALF as much effort into those  billets as you do some of the points I've seen you knock out recently it is gonna make one HECK of a bow.   :)  Good luck can't wait to see it shooting!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:52 am »
Shannon, Is that part of the snaky staves you brought to the Classic last year? I think you had or said you had billets from the lower part of the same tree. I got one of the staves from David. Maybe I'll bring it to the Classic for some help setting it up. It is still like it was when I got it.  I'll try to chase a back ring before then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 12:06:56 am »
Shannon If you don't do something with those gorgeous Billets I'm going to wrestle you out of them when I get there ,, ;D >:D  And I don;t play fair ;D >:D

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 12:44:02 am »
Shannon If you don't do something with those gorgeous Billets I'm going to wrestle you out of them when I get there ,, ;D >:D  And I don;t play fair ;D >:D
  ;D Hopefully they won't still be billets by then.

Yea pat, these are the ones.  I got two sets of these right at the bottom of the tree and about 5 more staves a little higher up. David knight got a couple, you and Eddie got one and I kept the one fer myself. If I get these together and shooting by the Classic, I might just bring the sister stave to yours and we'll work on them together. ;)