Author Topic: My TN Classic project BOOM!!!  (Read 20552 times)

DCM4

Re: My TN Classic project (braced pictures)
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:54 pm »
Freakin outstanding for a first brace.  I'm curious to see it done come May.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:40 pm »
Sorry to see what happened to the set billet bow, but this one is looking real good.
Traverse City, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »
After 4 days in the hot box it lost a total of 15 grams of moisture.  About 36 hours of that was at 120 degrees and 20% humidity. The rest of the time was 100 degrees.
  I couldn't help but scrape on it a little more this evening though.   I got it out to around 20" of draw without breaking it, so I figure I'm about 18" better than the other one. ;D

This thing is making my eyes cross though.  One way it looks hinged, the other way it don't.  It's that way on both limbs :-\  I reckon I'm just gonna have to hit the middle ground on this one. 
 It's ben so long since I've tillered a bow, I think I've forgot how.
 Here's a few pictures of it at 18" I think it's hitting about 40# right there.

In all these pictures the top image is of the same side.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: My TN Classic project She's bending!!!
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »
Looking pretty good. I'd scrape some from the mid limb out to the tips.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:21 pm »
I think you're right Ryan.  I quit on it fer tonight and just put it back in the hot box.
  Next time I work on it I'll start narrowing the outer limbs and work on getting from mid limb out bending more.
  I also need to pull one or both tips a little to get the string on the handle a little more. 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 11:37:56 pm »
Shannon, Don't get it too dry!  :o Do you know the M/C?     Looking good so far.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »
Is that bow flip flopped in the first pic Shannon?

Looking swell! ;)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2010, 12:02:26 am »
Not sure on the moisture Pat. I'm pretty sure it has moisture to spare though.
 Yea Tim, I took a picture of both sides of it drawn, braced and straight.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2010, 07:06:35 am »
Looking good Shanon.Slow and easy .The first picture looks like it is a little stiff from Mid out but I think you have seen that. All in all it is looking great to me. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:01 am »
Shannon, the one thing I have learned about building snakes:(I don't mess with them much, I leave them up to you pro's) be sure and flip flop it alot while seeing tiller changes. The outside curves always show up to my eyes,giving a stiffer than, appearance. I see it the same way everyone here has posted. Mids out.

Steady on son. ;)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »
It ain't broke.......yet ;D
  She did started making some ticking sounds on me this evening though. :o  I looked and looked for any sign of a splinter and just couldn't find anything.  That was at 20"...It's 49# @ 23" right now and I've not heard anything for a good while now.  I did reshape the string grooves though. That could have been it. :-\
 I went ahead and narrowed the outer limbs and rounded off the corners of the back a little more, as well as a lot of scraping from mid limb out.
 It's holding its shape fairly well considering I didn't start with much reflex.  Right off the string the tips are about 1/4" behind the handle and after a few minures, they sit about 3/4" ahead of it.
 I'll get her out another inch or two tonight, then bend the tips a tad to get the string tracking a little better.   If all goes well, I should have her out to 27" tomorrow. 8) 

Offline FlintWalker

Re: My TN Classic project BOOM!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »
Well............It didn't make it :(              ;D But I enjoyed the excitement of seeing it blow! :o

I had her out to 48# @24" when she left me :'(   But I did get to shoot it a few times 8)
  Oh well, I have more wood. ;D

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:44:45 pm by Saw Filer »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »
Bummer Shannon That was looking really nice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 12:36:52 am »
Ouch!  Oh well, now you have two good limbs from broke bows so give it another try.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2010, 12:50:27 am »
^^^that's what I'd do... Like Pat says.... Dang Shannon I hate this one blew too it was lookin real nice.   :'(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln