Author Topic: "Boar to Come" a new bow  (Read 4893 times)

Offline hedgeapple

"Boar to Come" a new bow
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »
Some of you are aware that I'm going on a pig Feb. 5-8 and I wanted to take an oinker with a self bow.  None of the osage stave I had were within my skill level to build a bow with in the 6 weeks I had.   This was to be only the 3rd bow I attempted.  When Greg, GMC offered me a hickory stave and some guidance, I JUMPED AT HIS GENEROUS OFFER.  I learned much from Greg during this building process and we've developed a life long friendship.  What could be better in life--a new bow and a new friend?

So here she is, "Boar to Come"  She's 64" ntn, 57# at 26.  She's whisper quiet with no handshock.  She's 1 3/4" at the fades tapering to 9/16" at the tips.  The handle is bulbous (a girl needs curves where you hold them), 1 1/2 wide and only 3" long.
With my grip I didn't feel I needed a 4" handle.  Thanks PatB for your post when I was asking about handle styles.  She has 1 3/8 set.

I'll start with the money shots.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

Re: "Boar to Come" a new bow
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »
Apparently, I taped up my paper tillering grid a little cock-eyed for the brace picture.  "Boar to Come" has deer rawhide handle wraps, rawhide strike plate and leather arrow rest.  The tip overlays are deer antler (not as nicely done as GregB's).  She is stained with my own mixture of walnut shells and cherry bark cover with 5 coats of poly.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
Looks pretty good to me.Nice bow.Hope you get a pig with it. My son in law and I hunted all day today,covered about 12 miles ,saw some pigs,but could'nt make it happen .We still saw a lot,walked a lot,and had an all around great day. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39:39 pm »
She's a beauty.  Awesome job on the tiller.  Also, I like your shortened handle area, why waste wood?  Nice work, for sure.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:06 pm »
 You gotta love Hickory. Sweet looking bow, you nailed the tiller. Good luck on the hunt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:14 pm »
nice bow -  like the handle wrap.  lookin' forward to more pics - next to a dead hog -  good luck!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »
Thanks guys for your comments.  I think she's up to the pig hunt.  I just need to do my part.  I'll be shooting here everyday from now until the hunt.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »
Got your niffty weapon bookmarked for January Self BOM fun. Nice to have Greg around, huh?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:20 pm »
Thank OldBow, it's a honor to be grouped with such talented bowyer.  Yes, day of bow building with GMC was worth more than a year of trial and error on my own.  It was fun watching him get antsy when I would scrape the limbs.  I could just see the "let me do it" in his face, but let me learn and scrape on my own.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 11:44:53 pm »
beautiful!

good luck makin' bacon!

Offline gmc

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 12:12:15 am »
Dave:
You're right, it doesn't get any better. Thanks for bringing me along on this, it was fun what little I helped.

I am still scratching my head on how quiet this bow is on release. ??? Nice job, looks like you are set and ready for a pig hunt. That bow finished out nicely and the only thing left is the real money shot.

Believe me brother the pleasure was all mine and hope I get to help on another one soon. But next time, you're holding the flashlight on the target while I get the first shot..... ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:33:31 am »
Great looking bow Dave, ya'll done a fine job on it.  I love the look of the finish and hope you plug a big 'un!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:23 am »
Thanks Elk and Shannon.

Greg, I'll hold the flashlight first next time,  maybe it will be on your gull bow, Sunday.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:34:34 am »
That is nice. That bow has a great tiller. Way to pass it on, Greg! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:28:36 am »
Very nice job,tiller looks great,now go out and bloody an arrow.Shoot straight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good