Author Topic: Bamboo back bamboo belly...(WITH FULL DRAW PIC)  (Read 16404 times)

Offline Jbell

Re: Bamboo back bamboo belly...(pics)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 08:54:06 pm »
Now that is a beauty! Sweet job with that one. Maybe you should tell the guy that it broke and give him something a little less stunning! Hang that baby on your wall!(LOL)
Justin Blunt

Offline mamba

Re: Bamboo back bamboo belly...(pics)
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 10:35:52 pm »
Yep got to be hard to part with that one - - she's a beauty.
Ray/NY

Offline bowmo

Re: Bamboo back bamboo belly...(WITH FULL DRAW PIC)
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 11:36:20 pm »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 01:01:09 am »
That is a pretty bow Dan, but I would suggest gettin the mid and outer limbs working more if you can, its bending awefully hard right off the fades. Maybe just try tapering the core a bit more on the next one, I know its hard to tiller one with raw boo on the belly. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

a finnish native

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 05:24:44 am »
I agree whith Ryano. Anyways that's a real treat for the eye ;)
Btw what glue did you use, and did you use steam or dry heat to bend the pieces into that form?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 01:12:26 pm »
Ya, I would have been more annoyed with the way it turned out if it hadn't shot so darn nice! But, anyway you guys have seen my work...you know I prefer a more elliptical tiller...your not telling me anything I don't know. Bamboo belly's are certainly a real challenge! But I always learn a lot as I go...you'll see another one of these from me soon, as the belly of that yew tri lam I recently made is starting to degrade in a most unusual way!? Yew sucks! So, I decided to try and save it by adding a bamboo belly...we'll see how that goes...

I use a mix of smooth on epoxy and tite bond 3...smooth on for the splices and any full length limb lamination's...tite bond 3 for the power lams, handle lams, tip overlays and underlays.

You don't use heat at all....the reflex and the deflex are forced into those shapes while gluing and held in by the glue line.

Dan

ridge

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 01:20:27 pm »
 You sure about letting that bow loose. Super!   Ridge

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »
The bow had a lot of deflex, so I don't know if its bending overly hard there or not.  It'd be interesting to see the braced pic superimposed on the full draw.  Torges' R/D design had some pretty straight looking limbs at full draw so I don't know that it is necessary to get this design to be nicely round.  In fact, a rounded full-draw measn the reflexed area is under more stress than the rest of the bow.  Of course that is part of why R/D works so well, only slightly moving mass on inner limbs and fairly stiff outer limbs, leaving the poor mid-limbs to do all the work.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 02:14:29 pm »
Outstanding! 'Nuf said :P
Looking forward to seeing it this weekend for March Backed Bow of the Month
Thanks for the FULL DRAW PIC ;)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 03:57:03 pm »
Very nice, that's a sweet looking bow.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 04:56:03 pm »
Yew sucks!

That's the first time I've seen those two words side-by-side!  :D
Gordon

Offline Pat O

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 11:54:13 pm »
Nice looking bow. From the color of the bamboo on the belly it doesn't look like you tempered it. By tempering the belly boo you will incease the compression and strengthen the limb so you can cut down on limb mass. I agree with the other guys that it looks like the limbs aren't working very much from mid limb out. Try spreading your flex over more of the limb and tempering the belly and I bet you will be pleased with the results. Pat

woody

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »
O.K. now, that's just way too nice! :-)  Great Job!

Offline RT

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 03:41:58 am »
Hi dan,

saw you Boo bow on the threat, is the belly wood made from Raw Boo? how about the back of the bow, Raw Boo as well with snake skin glue on?

Pls send your reply to robt188@yahoo.com

God Bless, RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Jesse

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:34 am »
Great bow :o. I love the wood combo. I like the full draw profile. If you got those limbs bending in a nice arc you would loose a ton of performance. I have made a bow that had a similar profile and my neighbor made one at the same time. We made our bows to the same dimentions as each other and glued on the same form ect. The only difference was tiller. His was tillered to a nice arc mine looked straight. No comparison in performance. The straighter looking one shoots a full 50 yds. further with the same arrow.  Just my experience I am no expert. :)
                                                                                        Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark