Author Topic: OFF THE QUESTION ABOUT SINEW  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Blacktail

OFF THE QUESTION ABOUT SINEW
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:37 pm »
this is for the people that have done sinew backing...in your own opinion...in one course or layer of sinew how many pounds do you think that it adds to bow weight...NOW,i know that it depends on some other factors as well(wood type and so on )...i am just try to find out some round about info about poundage...thanks john

Offline Blacktail

Re: OFF THE QUESTION ABOUT SINEW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:20:13 pm »
the title was off the wall question..sorry about the miss spelling.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »
 John, I think with one layer you are only adding protection. But maybe a few years later, after curing you will pick up a pound or two. I've seen bows with 3 courses gain about 10 pounds in 3 or 4 years if they are kept dry.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
I imagine each course adds more pounds than the previous one, because of the increased leverage of lying further and further away from the wood.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:36:53 pm »
hey thanks eddie,i have an oak bow that i am working on its 54" and has 2 courses on it...i have it tillered out to 10" with a 4 5/8 brace...and i put it on the scale and at 10" its 18 pounds and its gains 2 pounds an inch..i want to at least hit 20" of draw.if i figured it out right..at 20"right now its only going to be 37pounds..so,i was thinking of add 2 more courses..to gain weight...this is why i asked about pounds and courses...maybe i shoulded have added this..sorry guys..john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:24 pm »
 John, adding more sinew isn't going to automatically make the weight jump up. You will be adding mass, or weight to it if you keep adding sinew. I have seen the weight go up after a few years with 3 courses of sinew applied with hide glue. But, in that dry climate you live in you will probally gain it quicker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:04 am »
My last Sinewed Bow is now 4 years old....Ash Stave....3 full Layers...one down the Center....Finished out at 56 at 28"...is now up to a Scary 73 at 28"....as is as fast as a Rocket...but creaks and clicks like theres no tomorrow...and maybe there won't be...one day....... ;D.....I attribute the massive draw weight gains to the fact that the Humidity here is next to Non-Existent...and the Hide Glue and Sinew has dried so fast that it has added this much so fast...Bow demensions....58 ntn....1 1/2" wide at fades....last 12 inches tapering off to 1/2" Tips
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Unless you are adding reflex while sinew backing, you are mainly adding blow out protection.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

coyote pup

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:03:35 pm »
In my experience, if you're sinewing with hide glue or knox, you add anywhere from 0-2lbs with the first layer, 2-3 lbs per layer after that.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »
 There are too many variables to give 1 answer. I reciently took off too much weight tillering  a sinew cedar bow. It had 3 layers of sinew. I added another 1.5 layers and it went from 39# to 52#