Author Topic: green deer hides galore!  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
green deer hides galore!
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »
My local processing place saved me a few deer hides and legs, 9 hides and around 40 legs, I got all the sinew outta the legs and now I  am salting the hides for fleshing.  I am having a hard time finding Alum, where do you guys get your Aluminum Sulfate at?  I tried all the big box stores as well as a few Co-Ops and Farmers Trading Posts with no luck, they all say it is a seasonal product and will have some this spring.  I am doing hair on tanning any suggestions?  Thanks for your time.   :)  -josh

and some pics!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: green deer hides galore!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »
Call Brenntag or Univar.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »
Check with your local water treatment plant and you can probably get a phone number for their chemical supplier.

Jeff I wonder if liguid alum would work after all its just hydrated aluminum sufhate????
If so most water plants use it as a primary coagulant.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »
Yep Dana- it should work. Univar and brenntag sell to the smaller municipalities so there would be no difference.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:47 pm »
Well in tha case we get liguid alum at both plants by the tanker ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:52 pm »
Josh
You are going to be a busy guy. ;).  Nice score
Traverse City, MI

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:26:17 am »
Lot of work ahead of you,I use to do them that way but Jesse showed me how to flesh them on a post using a draw knife,much faster and I done a much better job also. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:05:05 am »
thanks Pappy, I might need to look into that... My buddy Snakeman is doing half of them so it isn't too bad so far.  I about have them all fleshed now just have 1 and a half more on my part.  He has like 3 left so I might end up doing one of his also, lol.  Peace.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »
definetly get a fleshing beam . save a lot of time. cant wait to see the finished work.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:43:30 pm »
Well i did the fleshing beam and drawknife and it was DEFINITELY light years easier than the 2x6 on the tailgate way i was originally doing it.  I am having problems finding Aluminum Sulfate in my state and I had already got one of them to that stage.  I am following Jeffs tan-along and got one just out of the vinegar.  Since I didn't have the Aluminum Sulfate, I just rinsed the hide out, hung it up to dry a little and am going to egg tan it tonight (if it is mostly dry by now)  Will this work?  By the way it is a hair on hide I am doing.  Thanks for all your help and thanks Jeff for the tan-along.  Very informative.   :) -josh

Offline riarcher

From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »
thanks for the link... I have them all fleshed, dried, and rolled up waiting for the time to tan later.  I kinda got sidetracked with making bows but I will get back to them soon. Thanks again!   :)  -josh

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »
Wow!  Nice haul!  Sure would be nice if you were trading for that stuff.  A hide would be nice, but people keep telling me I need to use real sinew on my arrows.  Care to part with any in a trade? ;D
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »
Nice work Josh.  I was given 19 skins before Christmas (which was entirely too many for me to cope with and will have to throw out because I didn't have a clue what to do at the time) and another 6 a couple of weeks back.  I'm also curing a skin for hair-on tanning - it's a cross between a sika and a red deer, a lovely colour hair.  I've also got a couple tanning in bark water at the moment too.  Need to add some more solution to the mixture.  It's interesting work but thoroughly enjoyable!

Do you salt before you flesh?  I fleshed first, then rubbed the salt into the membrane surface.  That hide is currently hanging in my shed, hopefully drying out after being salted for a week.  Then I'll rehydrate and scrape off the membrane.  Kinda lost as to what to do then :)

Any chance of a link to Jeff's tan-along please?  ***EDIT***  found it myself :)

Looking forward to seeing how yours come out!  You mention you're going to egg-tan them.  Are you going to slosh them about in an egg & water solution or will you paste it on the flesh side?  I imagine the egg would make a mess in the hair  :-\
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:04:25 pm by HatchA »

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »
aero86:  Can't really part with any as I had to split them with my buddy Snakeman we only have 4 apeice...   :( I definitely would if I had more.  I havent started tanning any of them yet, they are just dry scraped with hair on rolled up with salt right now, seems to be pretty stable...  :)

HatchA:  I left them with hair on salted the flesh side for two days then dry scraped all the meat/fat off them.  Resalted them and rolled them up to save for later.  With egg tanning I think you just rub the egg in and work the hide as it dries to make it soft.  I think you do it a few times, I really need to read more about it myself before I do it that is one of the reasons i haven't gone farther with them yet.  Good luck on yours!   :)