Author Topic: 75# carved white oak viking bow  (Read 20170 times)

Lombard

Re: 75# carved white oak viking bow
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »
Half eye, is carving a hobby for you, or something you do for a living?

Offline TBod

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 06:04:46 am »
Very nice bow!

I find Oak very hard to work with compare to the woods I tried before. On the other hand I've only tried pretty soft woods..
I would have imagined Oak be hard to carve in.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 06:27:08 am »
Beautiful work,looks very nice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

half eye

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
Thanks fellas,
        Dave: At my age them money shots ain't gonna happen, thats just too ugly to even contemplate  ;D
Lombard: I used to carve at the world-class level (realistic wildlife) but not for the last 10 years because of the injuries, so this low relief is about my only option due to the physical limitations. An example is burning in the barblettes of feathers I used to be capable of about 95-100 lines per inch and now I'm lucky to do 20 and those aren't real good)
T Bod: I think that working the backs and or bellies of this oak is cause it's vertical grained, I have trouble with the edges of the limbs cause that's horizontal grained. Most all of my tools are Cutting Edge types (scrapers etc.) and the vertical grain cuts more even than the horizontal and gives less problems with the tools digging in, or lifting slivers......thats just how it seems to me.
Pappy, Thank you, means a lot coming from you.
half eye ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:18 am »
Another inspiring bow Rich, someday I need to try this perhaps when I'm retired :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
Nice work, beautiful bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

half eye

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:29 am »
Hey Dana,
      Dont forget I seen your bows so dont go there about how nice mine are eh? Truth be told all you fellas probably build more types of bows than I ever will. The retired thing does help some, too ;D
      Rothgar: thanks, man. I think I got this carved Mollegabet thing pretty good, but you all didn't hear about the carved pryamid that went away....did ya? I'm going to see if that is viable (carving thin straight tapered bow designs) sort of need a reality check. Everytime a guy gets cocky them bent sticks will put ya right back in your place....at least that's how it works for me.
half eye ;)

Offline tombo

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »
Beautiful bow! Nice job,   Tom

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 07:21:19 pm »
Hehe, you're taking this to a new level with those notches along the outer limbs ;D

I guess this really shows how safe a board bow with good grain orientation really is.

Keep it up!  (I really need to try this!)

half eye

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:36 pm »
Kviljo,
       Thats pretty funny....I was thinking the same exact thing about that beautiful bow you just posted....very nice !! Actually I got the notch idea from some carved roof gable ends I saw in a museum display photograph and thought it looked pretty cool.
half eye

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »
Rich I just read your article in PA and I just want to say well done and I think your article embodies what PA is all about.
The bow you have pictured in the article is fantastic would like to see you post some more detailed pics on here :)
I'm hoping to get down your way this summer and would love to spend a day with you, maybe you could teach this yooper a
new way to skin a cat eh ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:53 pm »
Very nice example of a holmegaard.The carving is beautiful. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:48 pm »
awesome job , artistic and extremely functional. best of both worlds, rich your an inspiration to us all !

half eye

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »
Thank you fellas, and hey dana your allways welcome at my house....but I bet you can teach me more about bow building than I can you.
half eye

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:54 pm »
Excellent bow (Holmgaard style, I presume) And bookmarked for January Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday