Author Topic: Honeysuckle bow finished  (Read 10778 times)

Offline greenstick

Honeysuckle bow finished
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »
Hello guys, I have finished the Honeysuckle bow from the wood that was cut in the past summer. It's not perfect, and  I have a lot to learn, but it shoots great. Approximately 45# @ 28", 64"long.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Honeysuckle bow finished
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. Well done!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:05:23 pm »
 Very nice bow Greenstick. I like the look of the back and you did a real good job on the tiller. Also like the hardware on the door. ;) very nice. Congratulations on the bow.  
 Ps.  We are all learning no matter how many bows that we've made. Each piece of wood is different and presents it's own challenges.

Offline barebo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
Wow !!! The tiller does look great, and if it's a shooter, then you've made yourself a winner !! Was that the Honeysuckle that flowers in the spring, and grows in a large shrub form??? I've never seen a piece of that diameter before. Looks Great!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:17:14 pm »
awesome bow and from honeysuckle to boot!  great job man!  Keep em coming!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 02:20:24 pm »
what everybody else said....I dont see anything wrong...it'll make meat I'm sure....very well done
half eye ;)

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »
Outstanding!  I'll have to add honeysuckle to my list of woods to watch for.  I have one tiny little insignificant concern...  It looks like you're pulling the string from pretty high up, and I wonder if you pinch on a nocking point and pull from there if the tiller will look as good.  I'm no expert, though, so feel free to lay the smack down. :P
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline greenstick

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »
Thanks guys, At first I didn't even know if it would make a bow, but we have a lot of it around here.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline sulphur

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
looks pretty great to me.  tiller looks great.  i am always amazed by the number of woods that will make a bow.  I keep waiting for someone to say i made a bow from stinkweed and some dandelion arrows to boot.    :D  great job!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:26 pm »
What's the specific gravity of it, roughly?  You can figure it out by carving a cylinder or square rod out of a dry piece and floating it upright in water.  Whatever percentage is under the waterline is the specific gravity. 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline greenstick

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:43:20 pm »
Thanks Keenan,I made the door.
Zenmonkeyman, That test was done by Orcbow, the findings- .85, and Wodpow made one,but didn't see it. Don't know about the string, just where I grabbed it.
The flat bow type seems to work for this dense wood,but I open for any wisdom in this area.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:42:28 pm by greenstick »

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:39:09 pm »
Is that what I call Bush Honeysuckle? Does it have a bunch of red berries on it in the fall and the leaves stay green on it way into late fall early winter? I have some kind of bush ruining my woods here that looks like that. I hope it is the same so I have another reason to cut it. Dean

Offline greenstick

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »
Yep,  that's the stuff.Berries, vines and not very big or straight.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »
good work, the one I made snapped KAPOW so you did great.

Offline barebo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »
I'm lookin' for a piece of "StinkWeed" big enough to try!!!!!