Author Topic: Today's harvest...bendy Osage Split...New Pics Added  (Read 5720 times)

Offline KShip85

Today's harvest...bendy Osage Split...New Pics Added
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:12:20 pm »
Ok, well I spotted this trunk earlier in the week and decided to cut it today (gee that new cordless sawsall with pruning blade is handy!)  Anyway, I am hoping to get a bow out of it and incorporate the fairly symmetrical deflex reflex already in the timber.  Looks like their could be some twist so that has me a little worried, haven't tried working with anything that has twist in it yet!  It's well over six and a half feet long right now and the pics will show its thickness.  So what do ya think, there a bow in there???

Kip

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:08:17 pm by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Today's harvest...bendy Osage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »
the only Problem that I see Kip...is that the Best Rings and the way the Tree grew....the Bow should come from the Left Sjde of the Stave...JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:06:24 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »
I'd make the bow out of it the way you want even if it isn't necessarily the best part of the wood, it still looks pretty good. I just think the profile on that would look really cool. I'd be tempted to make two, mirror-image, bows out of that one but I'd probably screw it up. I like challenges.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

rattlesnake

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »
any of those rings are good,,...ide snap a line and make the stave as best you can centerlined through the handle the way you want it.....

also save or try for two staves, i see a re-flex,and a de-flex.....best of luck....snake

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »
That is a unique looking piece of wood. If you pull it off it will be an awesome looking bow.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Actually that could be a naturall R/D on the upside and a set back handle (gullwing or if you flipped the tips a double curve) on the downside...
Frank from Germany...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »
                                            If it don't twist like a Sopwith Camel Prop........... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:56:06 am »
Yeah, I was hoping I might be able to get a couple staves out of it.  I'm going to set it aside for awhile let 'er season and build up some skill before tackling this one. Might split it and chase a ring in a year or so.  In the meantime I'm going to house it inside and keep it away from insect damage.  In the mean time I've plenty of hackberry to work on as well as another couple Osage pieces and a redbud stave.  I've also got some dogwood, hornbeam, hophornbeam, sycamore, hickory, white oak,  cherry and redbud to cut.  It's getting to the point I almost enjoy getting staves as much as doing something with them once I've got them.  Thanks for the well wishes guys, I really hope to do something with this stave down the road.

Kip 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:32:38 am »
I would split it now. It will check where you don't want it to if the internal moisture has to find it's own way out.  Also, the bugs are already eggs laid in the bark in late summer or early fall. When you bring it inside they will think it's their birthday and start eating.  :o   Split the stave, spray the bark well with a good insecticide and set it in your basement or in the rafters of your garage.
  Another option is to cut it in half at the center of the crook and make recurved billets. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:46 am »
Alrighty Pat, tomorrow I will take to the task of splitting and bug killing and see how bad that spiral is.  Would it be beneficial to go ahead and chase a ring and seal it just to get rid of the bark?

Kip

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:08:47 am »
You don't necessarily have to spend the Time to Chase a Ring right now...but removing the Bark is a Good Idea...then Shellac the whole Stave and put it somewhere warm and dry to season...or get you some Borax or Volk Oil to kill the Eggs that are in the Bark...so the Powderpost Beetles or Borers won't get it.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:29 am »
You can remove the bark and sapwood but seal it well right away. Then you don't have to use the insecticide. You can go ahead and shape the bow to floor tiller stage without over stressing it. You will have to clamp it to a form to keep it from twisting. At floor tiller stage you could bring it inside in a few weeks. You don't want it to dry too quickly right after cutting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:34 am »
If I go ahead and get it floor tillered would clamping it up remove some of the twist that already exists?  I'm relatively sure there isat least some, maybe quite a bit.

Kip

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 02:44:14 am »
Yes it will. Bend it a little past flat because it will loose some when unclamped. If the twist is severe you will have to use heat to remove the twist. While it is wet steam is the best. When it is dry use dry heat.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:55 pm »
Ok, well I got it split and there was some twist, right in the middle of it too.  Not to sure what to do with it now, maybe some billets?  I'd still like to get the bows out of it as, but it is going to take some bending to get that done I think.  Turns out it's a little over 7 feet 6 inches long.  So what do you guys think?

Kip