Author Topic: How long for Osage ???  (Read 1978 times)

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
How long for Osage ???
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »
How long do you all recommend letting "fresh cut" osage dry before you try to make a bow out of it? I have a hillside full of it and I am thinking about trying to make a bow.
Did I mention this will be my first attempt at a selfbow? I have been kicking around the idea and decided to give it a go.
Any suggestions?
Joe
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: How long for Osage ???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:27 pm »
Joe....the Rule I live by on a Stave Bow...I was taught by a knowledgeable Bowyer...He told Me at least 1 Year per inch of Stave thickness....that is why I always reduce My Staves to near Bow dimensions soon after either Buying ....or Cutting....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:57:54 pm »
Thanks for the info El D, I'll be cutting some trees down this weekend.
I got a couple more questions.
After I cut them should I leave the bark on them or peal it off and just put a clear coat (ureathane) on it?
And after I rough them out do I need to put a urethane all over it befor storage?
Thanks, Joe
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline wodpow

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:38:27 pm »
If you go the reduction route then by all means seal the back and ends I seal the belly wood also as I have had nice stave looking like a bow was coming to the surface check because the wood was losing to much moisture threw the unsealed belly wood  other than that I leave the bark on and seal the end as long as the wood don't start to dry to fast it should get stable after about six months.  summer cut Osage put in a hot shed  will and can really check super bad when the outer wood shrinks down on the wet fat inner wood and splits even with the ends sealed it :'(  can make you well sad

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:08:19 am »
When you cut your wood split the logs in half, seal the ends and give them a month to acclimatize. Then reduce them to staves.  Take a stave and remove the bark and sapwood and immediately seal the back. I like spray shellac to seal bow wood.  Once the back is sealed lay out your bow,cut it out leaving the handle area full width and the tips 3/4" to 1" wide. These will be reduced later and may be used for adjustment. Once you get to floor tiller stage place the stave in a dry area and let it stay for a month. From this point you will have to judge the M/C by feel and sound as you work the wood.
  I made a 60" bendy static recurve 2 years ago and it was shooting 2 months off the stump. This bow fretted badly and I'm sure it was from rushing the drying process. Sometimes it works, sometimes not!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:58:21 am »
If the staves are normal size,say 4 inches across I like to wait at least a year,you can get one dry sooner but I have found a big difference in Dry and seasoned.I really like in a prefect world for them to be 3 or 4 years old. :) I just put it up and wait,when I first got started I traded 2 for 1,green for seasoned now I go to the oldest pile first. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:33:33 am »
Thanks for the info everybody!
I cut some down back in the summer, 4-6 inch round. Maybe I need to look at them and see how they look. 
That sounds like what I'll do then, To be safe , the ones I saw down I'll set them to the side and then look to trading to get me one to play with  ;D
Thanks again, Joe

Madison, Indiana

DCM4

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:30 am »
Sumpin 5" round cut last year and not parted at least once will have checked severly in my climate, maybe even mostly parted itself.  This from direct experience on multiple pieces.  Seems like you part it once way within a few weeks off the stump, leave the bark, and yer good to go.

When Pat says seal immediately, he means you got about a hour between exposing bare heart wood and sloppin it with something.  I like two coats, depending.  I like the rest of his advice.  I usually will reduce the limb thickness to 3/4", the handle area to 1 1/2" and seal the heck out of the belly side of the handle as well.  All this within a 2 or 3 weeks off the stump, then put it onto a caul w/ reflex for about week.  Then into the hot box at around 50% Rh checking at least twice a day for the first few.

It's a challenge but you can go from stump to shooting bow in about 3 months depending.  But I honestly think you won't get all the moisture out of the core for a considerably longer period.  I had lots of bows pull out of tiller, gain draw weight, take excessive set, etc. when I first start out and didn't have a reserve of seasoned wood.   Even today I like to make a bow from fresh cut wood, to see how it is, and usually 6 months off the stump (say cut in February to be ready by MoJam) is best case scenario to get to final tiller and finish.