Author Topic: heat treatment equipment  (Read 7155 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: heat treatment equipment
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 06:06:10 am »
I know that I can use my charcoal starter to temper some wood...simple steel cylinder.   I've gotten it hot enough to get the metal grill grate cherry red and start to melt...so that would be getting close to the melting point of steel which would be approaching about 1300 degree Fahrenheit.  Hmmm...maybe I can heat treat some broad heads.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 10:06:09 am »
Someone may have already mentioned it,but build yourself a heat-gun holder like Marc shows in his heat treating chapter ofTBB.I built one and it works great. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:32 am »
I regularly use the burner on the electric kitchen stove. It is faster and I feel it gets the wood tempered more evenly do to heating a larger area at once. My brother tempers his bow bellys by holding them in front of the glass door on his wood burner, this also seems to work well.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Lombard

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 12:07:23 pm »
I haven't done it with bows yet, but when I am heat treating and straightening arrows, I will get a good bed of hardwood coals in my fire ring, and whilst enjoying an adult beverage or so, temper and straighten my arrows. I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine for bows as well. I can easily imagine our ancestors doing similar activities around the fire.