Author Topic: heat treatment equipment  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: heat treatment equipment
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 02:19:52 am »
Heat treating wood is not the same as cooking a pig. I like my pig cooked all the way around. If you heat a bow like that you have too much potential to damage the back and cause an explosion.

I do it Steve's way sometimes and other times I will put the heat gun in a holder and set an egg timer. Then I will work on another bow (within a few feet) while the limb is being treated.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 06:42:35 am »
I also use a heat gun and in no hurry,digging a pit ,making coles,then covering I think would take
a lot longer,and I am with Justin,I don't think it would bring you the results you are after.It takes me about 2 beers per limb and that is fast enough for me. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:54 am »
It takes me about 2 beers per limb and that is fast enough for me. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
If that is how you time it, it must work faster for some than others.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56:11 am »
I changed my method a bit a few years ago and it seems to work well as far as keeping it even. I wave the gun back and forth from one end of the limb to the other at about 2 seconds per pass. Takes about 20 min or so and the limb will just start to deepen in color a bit, the back side will bejust to hot to keep your hand on it. I stop there, no scorch or burn marks just a deeping of color and I call it done. Steve

Badger's method is about the same as mine; I've only done it to a couple bows, but it has worked well.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:16 am »
Dear old dad tried to treat an osage bow in the ground back in the day and from his report I think it would take a lot of trial and error (not to mention ruined bow's) to perfect it. His turned into some of the purtiest charcoal you ever did see.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 02:15:00 pm »
A bed of hardwood coals works quite well and fast.  The only thing is it's a bit tricky monitoring the progress.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:29 pm »
Ive heard it said many times,and i concur,that the best tool a bowyer has is Patience.

That's  beautiful  Traxx:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »
Is that  a 12 oz or 16 oz? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 12:04:33 am »
jawge prob double duece. lol , ive been using propane turkey cooker without the pot just open flame

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 06:58:02 am »
Usually 12 oz,unless it is an extra long bow.Then 16. :) ;D ;D it's all about the timing Jawges. :)
All jokes aside I use a heat gun and it takes about 20 minutes per limb, normanly. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 11:54:23 am »
   I had a guy tell me he'd used heat tapes before on white woods.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:23 pm »
I don't understand why anyone would want to risk an already finish tillered Bow to a Process that may or may not work as well as a Heat Gun...which you can see what it's doing firsthand ...and monitor the Process by Eye every step of the way..it's so simple and to me it's sort of calming to just stand there and heat each Limb up and feel of the Wood as it's Heating ....and watch it start to bronze up....I don't know...but the is only one Step in the Bow Making Process that I hurry....and thats cleaning up the Shavings that get tracked all over my Wife's House....before She gets Home........ O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline scp

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 01:26:49 pm »
El Destructo, have you tried to use a hot stone or a pressing iron? Maybe I just don't like a tool that makes a whooshing sound.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »
I am not one to waste time chasing some different method of doing something...when what I use works just fine for Me......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tombo

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 12:06:26 am »
In South Texas (and other places I'm sure) the Indians buried imperfect stone with hot coals in a heat treatment method to make the rock easier to knap. I would guess they used hot coals to heat treat and bend wood for bows too. We know about them heating arrows for straightening too. I would think that burying a near complete bow , back side down, in damp sand/dirt and then covering (belly up) with dirt and hot coals would be a good heat-treat method and not damage the back.  Tom